General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:08 PM

Wish I were there. I have changed engines many times in cars over 50 years, the first was putting an 8 cyl engine in my 1948 Pontiac Club Coupe in 1963, outside in the wintertime.

But this would be so much more exciting.

Boydie

Originally Posted by lasater
For the first time in many weeks the engine is alongside the body again. We were shooting for installation tomorrow but it will be next Wednesday the 25th. Too many loose ends to deal with. We're not in a hurry and it is sooooo much easier to work on it while it is on the stand. It's going to be filled with oil and Lucas break-in oil and then we crank it to check for oil pressure. The engine wiring harness will be installed and hooked up to a Sun diagnostic machine (without the ECM) and checked before it goes in the car.

Speaking of wiring harnesses, the OEM split plastic wire housing is getting removed and replaced with a tight mesh tubing that is sort of like those Chineese finger things. Should look much cleaner. As you know, this car will be put under a microscope everywhere it goes and I don't want to hear "you should have done this or that"
Old 02-18-2015, 05:09 PM

Putting together a big car show in July for the remodeled re- grand opening of Simi Valley Chevrolet, maybe you can bring it to the car show..I see a trophy in your future :)

Tim
Old 02-18-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by black Tara
Putting together a big car show in July for the remodeled re- grand opening of Simi Valley Chevrolet, maybe you can bring it to the car show..I see a trophy in your future :)
If it is running by then I may be able to make it.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:15 PM

Update

I spent some time with my engine builder yesterday a came to some new conclusions. It was decided to integrate the wiring harness with the engine/trans install. Things will go slower but I feel it will be better in the long run. The number of wires that are required in newer cars is staggering. Many of these wires would be really hard to install after the engine is in. I still will take the time lapse video of it but it won't be this week. I don't want to get in a rush for this now,not after spending so much time on everything else up to this point. We plan on wiring the complete engine, mounting the ecm, getting the ignition sorted out and hooking up the fuel pump. If we have time I'd like to take a look at the instruments too. Anyway, here's what it looks like now.
Attached Images     
Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Hope you don't mind. I turned your pics.

Name:  V8 1.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  V8 2.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  V8 3.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  25.7 KB
Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

I was curious, with so much power and not much weight, what will/can you do to offset a possible loose squirrelly feeling?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:35 AM

Thanks for turning the pics Fireman.

Boydie

[QUOTE=firemangeorge;772755]Hope you don't mind. I turned your pics.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 AM

Lasater

When she is done I'd like to set up a race - my blown Panel SS against your V-8.

Boydie
Old 02-28-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BlindLizard
I was curious, with so much power and not much weight, what will/can you do to offset a possible loose squirrelly feeling?
It won't be any different from any other hot rod. They are all a little squirrely, a little front heavy, a little loud. As long as it is aligned correctly it will go straight. Remember, I'm not building a Lexus here. I have physical limitations on how wide a tire will fit the HHR body so I imagine it will break the rear tires loose without much effort. As far as power goes, it will only go as fast as I step on the gas pedal. I'm sure it will take some getting used to to learn to drive it. I'll try to wipe that grin off my face as soon I can. The plan is to use up to 5 Gopro cameras to be mounted all over and inside (and 1 flying in a drone) the car to share the experience with all you great guys that helped make this build a reality.

Last edited by lasater; 02-28-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build