General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM

No Interest in Roll Cage

Since their doesn't seem to be any interest in a "how to" on a roll cage I thought I would continue with the time lapse video of the engine install. I'm working on it in iMovie right now and here is a teaser frame of what it will look like.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2015, 03:33 AM
Deceased

Hmmm...how'd I miss the roll cage deal, I'd like to see a "How To" if you're still inclined.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:01 PM

HHR Roll Cage 101

Ok, today I began on the roll cage. ....well, getting ready to build it. I haven't used my JD2 bender in over 10 years and I ended up spending an entire day setting it up. I knew I had all the correct parts but I just couldn't remember the correct way to assemble it. It goes together only 1 way. It's a real puzzle.

Anyway, I got the first test 90 degree bend complete. The next step is to make a special angle finder and start making a full scale cardboard template of the shapes. I'll get back to it in a few days.

Here is a shot of the bend.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
Ok, today I began on the roll cage. ....well, getting ready to build it. I haven't used my JD2 bender in over 10 years and I ended up spending an entire day setting it up. I knew I had all the correct parts but I just couldn't remember the correct way to assemble it. It goes together only 1 way. It's a real puzzle.

Anyway, I got the first test 90 degree bend complete. The next step is to make a special angle finder and start making a full scale cardboard template of the shapes. I'll get back to it in a few days.

Here is a shot of the bend.
Anchored to the concrete, nice. Permanent patio furniture now?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:47 AM
Deceased

I'm glad that I'm not the only guy with a tubing bender that has left it sit long enough to require a period of head scratching and "umm..how's this thing work again?".

You've gotta anchor those suckers to the concrete Xtreme, thought I was "smart" back in the '90's when I anchored my old heavy duty tubing bender to a steel workbench with the thought of "that ain't going nowhere".

Halfway through bend #1, I moved the whole 4' x 10' bench loaded with tools, and a Powerglide transmission.

Back to O.T.

What wall thickness tubing are you using laseter, NHRA spec, or more for "just in case it gets away from me" spec?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 843de

What wall thickness tubing are you using laseter, NHRA spec, or more for "just in case it gets away from me" spec?
I'm using 1 3/4 x .118 mild steel. I'm not really concerned so much about NHRA spec, as I am trying to strengthen the chassis. I just don't want this sucker to torque twist too much when I stand on it. I will feel pretty stupid if I find out the hard way that I under - engineered this car. With the amount of metal I have cut out of this chassis and the amount of horsepower I'm putting in, I don't think I can make it too strong.

Last edited by lasater; 04-18-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

I don't always chime in lasater, but read all your entries with great anticipation. For myself, anything beyond a simple tuneup or oil change, I am at my limits. I am amazed time after time with what you can and have accomplished.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlindLizard
I am amazed time after time with what you can and have accomplished.
Thanks for the compliments but it boils down to 2 things; 1. Surround yourself with people in the know. ......this works for almost everything in life. 2. Sometimes I'm just too stupid to know that something can't be done. ......so I go ahead and do it. Now I'm not bragging about this because I've done a few things in my life that couldn't be done. ......and they shouldn't have been done.

P.S. I'm almost done with the video editing of the engine install . It's 3 1/2 minutes of 3 old guys running around like chickens with their heads cut off. It ain't pretty. But if you have extremely low standards, you may get a laugh out of it. I'll let you know when it's on YouTube.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:38 PM

Once the beast is finally rolling please let me know when you are taking it to local car shows. I would like to see it in person after following this thread for a while.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by CA Blue HHR
Once the beast is finally rolling please let me know when you are taking it to local car shows. I would like to see it in person after following this thread for a while.
The car is currently at my friends shop in Redlands, CA. You will are welcome to cruise on over and check it out in its current condition. Allen S. [a member here on the forum ] is on vacation from Surrey B.C. and he came by last week to check it out. It was fun meeting him.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build