General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Deceased

got to love that intake and the way it looks
Old 12-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Tie Rod Details

There are some differences between my car and the YearOne build. As I tried to copy YearOne's front steering exactly, there are 2 things I wasn't able to. One item was just welding the HHR tie rod onto the Camaro tie rod. I'm sure they did this in the interest of saving time for SEMA but let's face it, it is just unsafe. I'm sure they would have done it differently given enough time. The other item is the oil pan on an LS1 is different than the LS6 oil pan. My steering rack is not in the same location as theirs. My rack is very low in relation to my front spindles, especially as low as I will have the front end of my car. This makes an extreme "up" angle to my tie rods attaching to the spindles. To fix this problem I have decided to invert my tie rod ends and keep my tie rods somewhat level. Only problem is the spindles have a 7 degree tapered hole for the tie rod ends. To fix this I machined a couple of steel inserts to press into 3/4" inch holes I'll drill in the spindles. Once the inserts are pressed in the holes it should be fine. Of course I'll be shortening the Camaro tie rods and re threading them so it should be as good as "factory"...no welding,
Attached Images    
Old 12-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Handy little tool you have there, nice work, better than stock !...
Old 12-21-2013, 04:47 AM

This build is the best !! The knowledge you are imparting to all of us is amazing. Thank you for sharing this with us all.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boydie
Lasater

Anybody who can build a car like you can, can use any SS parts you want.
I won't be offended.

Boydie

Old 12-21-2013, 11:56 PM

That is some impeccable workmanship! I am in awe of your skills! I wish I lived closer to you so you could take me for a ride in this beast :)
Old 12-22-2013, 04:50 AM

lasater, Is that you at the lathe?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Boydie
Lasater

Anybody who can build a car like you can, can use any SS parts you want.
I won't be offended.

Boydie
x2
here is a v8 hhr for sale https://www.racingjunk.com/Other/181...rolet-HHR.html
Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Threads and builds like this are why I miss being on this site as much as I used to be. That's excellent work so far Lasater! I've often looked at my engine bay and wondered "hmm I'd love to have a V8 LS_ in here". You actually got off your keister and are making your thoughts a reality, kudos my friend!

Later
Allex
Old 12-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Brilliant!

Boydie

Originally Posted by lasater
There are some differences between my car and the YearOne build. As I tried to copy YearOne's front steering exactly, there are 2 things I wasn't able to. One item was just welding the HHR tie rod onto the Camaro tie rod. I'm sure they did this in the interest of saving time for SEMA but let's face it, it is just unsafe. I'm sure they would have done it differently given enough time. The other item is the oil pan on an LS1 is different than the LS6 oil pan. My steering rack is not in the same location as theirs. My rack is very low in relation to my front spindles, especially as low as I will have the front end of my car. This makes an extreme "up" angle to my tie rods attaching to the spindles. To fix this problem I have decided to invert my tie rod ends and keep my tie rods somewhat level. Only problem is the spindles have a 7 degree tapered hole for the tie rod ends. To fix this I machined a couple of steel inserts to press into 3/4" inch holes I'll drill in the spindles. Once the inserts are pressed in the holes it should be fine. Of course I'll be shortening the Camaro tie rods and re threading them so it should be as good as "factory"...no welding,

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build