General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by lasater
Test *drives, anyone?
Yes, please!
Old 09-01-2015, 05:53 PM

Me too...

This is my first post in this tread - but like everyone else I am in awe of the attention to detail you have given your HHR! If you are coming to Chicago I'll make the trek up from Indy just to see the car and meet you!!! And if you're still offering rides, I'd even pay! THANKS for sharing your work with us.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:52 PM

My New Old License Plates

About the ONLY good thing the California DMV has ever done is to begin re-issuing the old style (1963-1969) black and yellow plates. They call them "Legacy" Plates. It has taken almost 2 years to get them but I picked them up at the DMV today. (It's sort of like going on a Mexican vacation) Anyway, here is what they look like. Same original vintage dies used to stamp them but Calif law requires the plate itself to be reflective so the black is a 3M reflective vinyl. If the light shines on them in a certain way it almost looks like a dark metallic root beer brown color but most of the time they look black. I'm satisfied with the look.
Attached Thumbnails V8 HHR Build-image.jpg  

Last edited by lasater; 09-02-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, I'm sure your state checked this....but you have my interest raised with your "reflective" statement.

Does the reflective tape interfere with photo radar? I know that a clear covering is available and it has reflective properties to prevent photos from being taken of the plate....so, just wondering.

Also here in Arizona, owners have removed the background paint of the plate in an effort to provide the same type of "protection". I have no idea if that works.......but a lot of people do it.

You know. now that I think about it, you did take a picture of the plate and it shows. Well daaaaaaaa!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:47 PM

Are Kalifornia plates 1 year. I lived in Palm Springs a couple of years but I don't remember how long the license plates are good. Oh, I guess the term started when you first ordered it. I probably should have just deleted this whole comment but when you get old you hate to let any expended effort go to waste.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Hey, I'm sure your state checked this....but you have my interest raised with your "reflective" statement.

Does the reflective tape interfere with photo radar? I know that a clear covering is available and it has reflective properties to prevent photos from being taken of the plate.
I'll guarantee you they checked this film out for photo radar before going into production. It's the same film that is on the current white plates just in black. There has been such a riot over red light cameras here in California that almost all of them have been removed so that isn't much of a factor anymore.

08 LaRam

As far as the length of time CA plates are good for, it's 1 year from date of issue. If you keep your tags paid for, you could keep the same plate on a car forever. This is how you can occasionally a model T or Model A with original plates on the road.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:21 PM

I guarantee the code required coating is to AID photo enforcement!

Some people think that certain coverings will protect them; DUH think maybe the authorities thought about that? In VA and my surrounding states it is illegal to put anything over the plate, or alter the plate in any way.

Back in my cab driving days another driver thought it was a good idea to touch up the paint that got worn off from 2 car washes a day. OOPS, the hack inspector fined, ticketed and grounded him. If he had left them paintless he would only have been grounded until he made a trip to the DMV for new ones.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by lasater
Test rides, anyone?
Ah, no brainer, YES, YES, YES
Old 09-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Test ride, yes and I'll wear a bib for the drool!! and double Depends incase you try to scare the you know what outta me, or I P myself laughing while you do smokey burnouts and donuts!!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 PM

It's All In The Details

Several projects are going on at once here. Lots of little important things that don't look like much in a photo but never the less must get done. The B&M Shifter cable is in now, the Lokar transmission dip stick has been installed and the fuel system is now vented and the stainless fuel lines are complete. The air hoses are run to all 4 corners and back to the air tank. I am waiting for the SEMA Show to pick up the latest and greatest controller from AirLift, the 3H. The trans cooling lines are in and complete and the radiator hoses are in and complete. The rear axle has been completely re-done due to the new direction that the rear suspension took. Here are a few pics of the progress:

Almost everything is new on the rear axle, panhard bar mount was re-located, trailing arm mounts completely new and brackets for the height sensors on the air shocks added.

Here is a shot of the rear tubs/sub frame and fuel cell. From here you can see just how little room the rear air shocks have.

There is actually quite a bit of room over the fuel cell. This shows the fuel pump assembly and tank sender.

Front air strut with the flex stainless lines in and secured. This also shows the stainless brake lines.

Another shot of the front suspension. Notice the horn below the headlight. It's off the Camaro.....I can't stand the little beep beep HHR horn.

It's still up on jacks right now. Hopefully in a week or two it will be back on it's feet.

Last edited by lasater; 09-17-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build