General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:12 PM

More Exhaust Progress 2

I just got back from my buddies shop where he is doing the finish tig welds on the exhaust system. The welds are beautiful and it will be a breeze sanding them down and polishing the tubing prior to Jet Coating. Hopefully the pieces will be ready for the coating in a week. Here is a shot of Tad Davis welding them.

Fiberglass rockers will be done on Thursday so I can get back to fitting and cutting for the exhaust tips to penetrate them.
Attached Thumbnails V8 HHR Build-exhaust-1.jpg   V8 HHR Build-exhaust-2.jpg  
Old 01-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Administrator

One of the elves hard at work on your sled! Nice!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:38 PM

good work
Old 01-27-2016, 07:52 PM

Welding is an art. In service I learned to use a stick welder some. He does nicework.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:07 AM

After 8th grade I was planning on taking metal shop in high school. I bought an old and extremely used Market Farm welder and several pounds of E6011 rod.

I made some real crappy welds practicing for welding class in school. When classes finally started and we finally got to do some welding I truly sucked at it. I told mom how I though I was going to fail the class so she taught me how to stick weld.

Ya see, she was a US Navy certified welder during the war. She ran a really big DC 'whine' welder to put stainless steel plating on bull dozer blades the corps of engineers and the Sea Bee's and such folks used during the war.

She started out building shells for howitzers then moved on to machine gun belts but had a real knack for welding so that's where she finished out the war, in the welding department.

I can do mig, tig, heliarc, and stick welding myself. I can also solder, silver solder, braze, and gas fusion weld. I can gas weld aluminum as well.

It has been a long time since I burned much rod but last summer I repaired my charcoal grill with my toy $99.99 Campbell Hausfeld 110V welder.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:55 PM

Rocker Panels

Okay, so I picked up the fiberglass rockers yesterday and they came out great. They will take some more modification to fit correctly but I'm on the right path I think.
Attached Thumbnails V8 HHR Build-20160129_121245.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 04:34 PM

Rocker Panels Actually Fit!

I put the fiberglass rockers up to the car today and they actually fit pretty good. A bit of massaging will be required but really not too bad. There was a seam down the front side that was required for the two piece molds but its ground down now and some bondo will fix that.

Inside under the car looks good too. Plenty of room for the oval-shaped tips to exit. The air lines for the suspension are way too close the the exhaust so they will have to be re-routed....live and learn.
Attached Thumbnails V8 HHR Build-20160201_132723.jpg   V8 HHR Build-20160201_132622.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Nice work, and yes live and learn, that's hot rodding!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:57 PM

I have fiberglass rocker panels too. They do take some fitting and don't forget to cut out enough room for the jack I used aluminum angle to frame them so I could screw down as well as on each end. It has held up well. I like your HHR. Very nice.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 PM

It's Com'in Home!

By this time next week the Ls1 Panel will be back in my garage. Yea! It's been gone a long time at my buddies shop. Lots of good stuff happened there but I'll be happy to get it home. There are still so many things to do to it. I made a list not long ago but it's too depressing to list here.

Last week I was out in the garage testing Skype with Craig Gibson to talk me thru the wiring. The connection was fine, I think that concept of using Skype will work fine. I don't know if it is possible to Skype between more than 2 people, but if it is, and anyone would like to "eavesdrop" on the process, you would be welcome to watch. If anyone knows if Skype will support a "conference call" let me know.

I just thought of something......my panel has always been an LS Panel......only now it's an Ls1 Panel.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build