General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
I'd leave out the tach - just run ér till either the valves float, or the rev-limiter kicks in.
What Rev Limiter?????
Old 03-10-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
What Rev Limiter?????
That loud boom usually works really well as a rev limiter ONCE. :)
Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 PM

Bit by Bit

Man, there are so many things to do on this build. Everywhere I look there is something that isn't done or needs to be re-done. I think I finally have the rear axle and the suspension correct and the airbag clearance problems fixed. The Ls ECU is mounted and next I mount the main fuse/relay block. A bunch of components got moved around because I thought the air intake would fit on the passenger side but it won't........so it's back to the driver's side as it originally was. I don't know what's up with the wiring yet, that's an ongoing challenge. Here is what it looks like today.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Administrator

A little crowded in that stable of ponies!! But once you fire it up and close the hood, all will be good!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 PM

Almost done with the main fuse/relay box mounting bracket. It's a surprisingly large amount of work to adapt the plastic components to a bolt-in metal bracket. Here is what I have so far.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2016, 07:56 AM

Are you going to put the driver monitor "black box" from the 'vette under the seat?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Are you going to put the driver monitor "black box" from the 'vette under the seat?
What "driver monitor"? I'm using the HHR BCM in its original location, the HHR main fuse/relay block under the hood and the Ls1 ECU under the hood. That's all I'm aware of.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM

Tiny projects

My time seems to get taken up with he smallest of projects. I finally got the fuse block mounted properly, the cover still removes just as stock......only sideways. The battery + cable is run to the fuse block and the starter cable is run from the fuse block to the starter motor. I need to get some crimp lugs for the cable and secure the starter cable away from the headers. I'm also working on a support from the front of the drivers side coil pack mount to underneath the MAF on the 4" air intake. I'm having a hard time getting the twist in the support just right. I'll keep plodding along.
Attached Thumbnails V8 HHR Build-image.jpeg  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:54 PM

Your attention to detail is quite amazing!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by CA Blue HHR
Your attention to detail is quite amazing!

Thanks for the compliment, but I really don't have much of a choice. Once you commit to a build like this, you are competing with some amazing vehicles. I passed the "Budget RWD / V8 conversion" long ago. Even your local cruise night has cars that only a decade ago would have been impossible to build. The level of craftsmanship and technology has evolved to incredible levels.

And besides, the first cruise night I lope into, I plan on blowing them away.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build