General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Want 5 speed: 2008 HHR - 2LT or SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:25 AM

Want 5 speed: 2008 HHR - 2LT or SS?

Hi folks! Hoping to join the HHR cult and not sure which way to go so hoping folks can help with their experience between these 2 choices (2LT 5sp vs. SS)...

My question is does anyone out there have a 2LT with 5 speed and leather? If so, does the touring suspension on the 2LT ride smoother than the SS? Second question is the 2.4L engine and 5 speed combination a big difference over the base 1LT with the 2.2L and 5 speed? Finding 2LTs with 5 speed and leather is a needle in a haystack (dealer is looking and I'll find out Monday if any are left). I did find a 1LT 2.2L with leather and 5 speed though.

As for the SS, I just drove an 08 SS 5 speed and what a blast to drive! Concern one is long term that the suspension and low profile tire setup is going to too tight for the daily commute and especially on long drives. Learned this the hard way from previous "sport tuned" rides (Maxima and our beloved but dreaded suicide door Honda Element). Concern 2 is the longevity of the turbo 2.0L. I don't keep cars too long, but resale is always on my mind. Looking to come back to American so hope the "hand shaker" folks out there could share their experiences between these 2. Thanks.

Last edited by edawg; 08-16-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo in title
Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM

I've owned a 2LT and SS. You won't regret the SS. No comparison.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 AM

Well, you're right to go w/ a 5-speed whichever model you go with. I'm disappointed in the 4T45E automatic transaxle.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:39 AM

I'm not...Gotta own one
Old 08-16-2008, 10:08 AM

I don't have leather but I do have a 2.4 five speed.I love it,it's just what I wanted.If you decide to go that route you'll have to special order it.No sane dealer would stock a combo like that-it's just too unique and of low demand(golly,now I feel so special!).Your only hope is a dealer had a cancelled order on a car after it was built and shipped.Good luck on THAT!
I would have liked to have bought an SS but the insurance would have been too much so I had to shelve that idea.
As far as a difference between the 2.2 and the 2.4 goes,the 2.2 will give better gas mileage than the 2.4 but the 2.4 wil be quicker.
If resale is a large concern,buy the SS because a stick in one of those isn't the drag on the market that a non SS would be.Like it or not,we manual trans enthusiasts are small group that's barely tolerated by the domestic manufacturers.I bought my HHR as a stick because that's what I wanted and I didn't give resale any consideration.I intend to keep it until it dies.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM

just a heads up in your info for this. The 2LT does NOT have the touring suspension, it comes standard with a sport suspension. The touring is only on the 1LT and the LS.

Now i can't say for a 5 speed, since i have an auto, but i love my 2LT with the 2.4. I drove all 3 engines. I loved the SS but didn't want to pay the extra in price, the extra in gas, and the extra in insurance. I felt that the 2.2 engine was sluggish and unresponsive (if i wanted that i'd drive the wife's aveo...) So i tried the 2.4 and it was a good adjustment between the 2 of ends of the spectrum.

The 2.2 might give you a little better mileage, but i do good with mine. I don't drive like a grandma but i do watch the instaomatic all the time. doing pretty much all highway i got just over 29mpg total trip about a month ago. The car doesn't have that many miles on it yet, and although people claim to be getting over 30 a lot, i figure i still got 1mpg better then the EPA standard.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:46 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by twistrman
I loved the SS but didn't want to pay the extra in price, the extra in gas, and the extra in insurance.
Same insurance class for me, and the difference in mileage is negligible (possibly zero according to some accounts on the board). As for price difference... you do actually get something for the difference.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:36 PM

2.4 2LT and 5 spd for me. I ordered mine. Dealers don't like 5 spds. I don't have leather. I added Eibach sport springs and progress rear sway bar.. rides great and is lower. Stock ride was too soft for me and handling was not what I wanted stock. 30+MPG hwy.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hotrodbob
2.4 2LT and 5 spd for me. I ordered mine. Dealers don't like 5 spds. I don't have leather. I added Eibach sport springs and progress rear sway bar.. rides great and is lower. Stock ride was too soft for me and handling was not what I wanted stock. 30+MPG hwy.

Thanks all. Hotrodbob, i think you're predicting what the dealer is going to tell me after they check the computer tomorrow. I gave 'em 3 exterior and 2 interior colors to work with so if there isn't one out there, I'm officially going to look for low mileage used (hopefully someone got tired of the clutch and fate will smile on me.)
Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 AM

The SS would be the easiest to find in 5 speed on the dealer lot.

Also the 08 SS would be a good deal right now as prices of the 09 will be higher even on the sticker.

It mostly comes down to a little extra flash, a lot more power and less body lean if you want a SS or a LT. IT just depends on what you want.

I took the SS as I like the more sporty nature vs the standard HHR. It just comes down to what you like as both are good choices and you will not go wrong with either.