General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Washington Post: Bankruptcy Could Offer GM More Flexibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
You really don't want to go down this road.

I was a lawyer for a company that is still in one of the longest and most drawn out bankruptcies in corporate American history. If you honestly believe that a bankruptcy in any one of the Big Three is good for the American economy, you need to either get your head checked or go to college.

BTW, the bailout loan for Chrysler was $1.5 billion in 1979. That's equal to $4.2 billion adjusted for inflation in 2007. Chrysler is now asking for up to $7 billion.
Well there you go a Lawyer......There goes you credibility with me.....What can one expect? A LONG drawn out bankruptcy Go figure, LOL

You don;lt need a Phd in economics to understand this is not the big deal those who are advocates and beneficiaries of GM are making it. No its not GOOD for the economy. But there are a lot of things that were not GOOD for th economy. Hummers....Sub Prime loans banks were forced and sometimes sued to make....(Didn't Obama sue a bank representing ACORN for discriminating against those who could not pay for a home?) Uh yeah.

I DO want to go down this road. Let them file. If they disappear, so be it. Ford has said they don't need the government money and they are backing off smartly sensing a backlash from the American Pubic. People will still by cars when the economy gets better and it WILL. No matter who goes under. The survivors will sell more cars to the same amount of drivers. ITs not like there will be a dearth of cars to buy. Those of us who drive GM cars will have worthless metal where there may not be parts. MY BAD. I take full responsibility for the choice I made to buy a used GM car.

I'll give it away if I can't sell it... I DON'T care. I'm not in favor of a Government bailout paying their high salaries and UAW contracts and as a taxpayer I don't think I am alone. The scare tactic is just that. Already Ford says they don't need a bailout and will be fine throughout 2009. So let Chrysler and GM fend for themselves, There is no Lee Iacocca to lead them. Their current leadership should be fired. They have proved they are incompetent and the tax payer should give them more. Chrysler is already dead.

This is a society where if you fail to produce goods and services people need and want you are out of business. You cannot force people to buy any particular car. People are paying premiums for used Toyotas, I just paid $18,000 for a 2 year old Toyota RAV4 for the wife. Could have bought many new Equinox Chevys and Fords for that. But guess what? I have no confidence in management's decisions. They don't put the money into the cars. They put it into people making the cars. I already give plenty to Charity. The UAW membership doesn't need my money.

And 7 Billion is nearly TWICE as much and guess what? Lee Iacocca is not around to fix them this time. No one is. Just the same old tired disconnected CEOS who could not negotiate with the UAW and gave away the farm. Now want the US tax payer to BUY STOCK? LOL.

Toyota , Honda,, Nissan and Kia, have 17 North American assembly lines and two more under construction. Together, their North American plants built 3.5 million vehicles in 2007. The Asian automakers will top that total this year - which is more than what Ford and Chrysler will build this in North America this year.

Would you put all of your money into GM stock today? I wouldn't. Why should the government? Let them go bankrupt and reorganize. I would not even buy a GM car again. I am not alone. In every survey, the American people do not want a bailout of the auto companies. If there is tax payer money going to them I will bet the Public protests by not buying the cars of bailout recipients. That's why I believe Ford has backed off. They will prove to the American public they can make it and the public will reward them. IN the mean time they will not care about GM as we will still have an American auto company who will survive and become bigger and stronger,

I'll enjoy the HHR as long as I keep it. But it will be the last GM car I will buy.
Stuck ignitions, replaced steering column, Now at 20K I need rotors!!!
I understand why GM is in trouble. I have the reason in my garage. I only out 14 miles a day on the car when I'm not on the bike and we use the Toyota for trips so for that purpose it will be fine.

"Anything that would take significant supply out, would shift the market to a seller's market very quickly," said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research, a Michigan think tank that is a strong advocate of a government bailout Go figure....Michigan think tank.

Sorry I believe in Capitalism. You survive based on quality and value, Anything less and "thank you...next"
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Well there you go a Lawyer......There goes you credibility with me.....What can one expect? A LONG drawn out bankruptcy Go figure, LOL
So, what exactly have you done with your life that makes you such a credible expert on bankruptcy and government subsidy? Bankruptcy IS government subsidy!! Seriously, you keep throwing stones at everyone else, calling people out and hating on a car that you haven't spent a dime on for warranty issues. In short, what the f*ck is your problem?

If you're going to have diarrhea of the keyboard and flame on my profession and how I practice law, you can go to hell. You don't know a damn thing about me or the sh*t I put up with to help ignorant, ungrateful a$$holes like YOU on a daily business.

F*ck you and the horse you rode in on.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 PM

And what you left out.

Ford stated they did not need the loan now but would like a line of credit if ineeded. They took a large loan out at low interest a year and a half ago when they were worse off than GM. That is why they don't need the money now.

Also Ford stated they need GM and Chrysler around as the loss of one would kill their suppliers. THey do share 80 percent of their suppliers. Ford is working hard to keep GM and Chrysler out of their own self interst.

Might mention all the facts not just the ones that serves your ideas.

It sure is easy running things from the Arm Chair?

FYI: my GP brake Pads like most 04-07 GP's lasted 65,000 trouble free miles. Also my rotors did not shake. Not all GM cars are as bad as you make it. All companies have good and bad models GM is no different.

My buddy makes a living fixing the imports with many of the same problems too.

Sorry but you can't just throw a blanket over all of GM products or anyone elses and call them all junk or great. I is just not accurate to do so to any automaker.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
So, what exactly have you done with your life that makes you such a credible expert on bankruptcy and government subsidy? Bankruptcy IS government subsidy!! Seriously, you keep throwing stones at everyone else, calling people out and hating on a car that you haven't spent a dime on for warranty issues. In short, what the f*ck is your problem?

If you're going to have diarrhea of the keyboard and flame on my profession and how I practice law, you can go to hell. You don't know a damn thing about me or the sh*t I put up with to help ignorant, ungrateful a$$holes like YOU on a daily business.

F*ck you and the horse you rode in on.
Try a Xanax dude........Sounds like you are Hyper defensive about your chosen profession. Probably should be. The legal profession isn't as respected as it use to be with good reason. I know PI layers are the bottom feeders of the profession and give all lawyers a bad name. Maybe you should become an Autoworker!! Your blood pressure will thank you.

My issues is tax payer money going to bail out companies. What if the so called loan is not paid back? What if people don;t buy the cars becasue they don;t want to be inconvenienced with a NEW car returning to the dealer for design issues. Thats like buying beta software. Free or not it's a PIA and I have never experienced that with any Honda or Toyota I have owned.

I bought the HHR because it was less than a year old and dirt cheap for what it is. I am glad in retrospect I did not shell out the MSRP of $25K for it or even $20K. Im aglad I am not making payments.

NO car should be in the shop 5 times during the first couple years for leaking sunroofs, Steering column replacements, , ignition issues, freeway shutoff issues, Radio issues, Brake Rotor issues.....These are all DESIGN FLAWS and a few build flaws. QC is non existent. I don't believe we should loan money to a company who cannot build cars as reliable in the first year as 3 year old imports!! Like I said we bought a same year RAV 4 and put the same miles on it with zero issues, I grab the handle to upen the hatch on the Rav 4 it ACTUALLY STAYS IN PLACE!!

The HHR grab cup for the HHR hatch is in a drawer in my workbench. It came off a year ago. Stupid cheap stuff like that is why GM is in the shape its in and Toyota can weather the storm. I don't want tax money thrown down the black UAW hole ran by CEOs who have no clue.

I'm tired of the whining by the inept CEO's and scare tactics. We will not go into a depression if GM or Chrysler fails. Our economy is far more resilient than having the UAW and Automaker management deciding our economic fate.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hyperv6
And what you left out.

Ford stated they did not need the loan now but would like a line of credit if ineeded. They took a large loan out at low interest a year and a half ago when they were worse off than GM. That is why they don't need the money now.

Also Ford stated they need GM and Chrysler around as the loss of one would kill their suppliers. THey do share 80 percent of their suppliers. Ford is working hard to keep GM and Chrysler out of their own self interst.

Might mention all the facts not just the ones that serves your ideas.

It sure is easy running things from the Arm Chair?

FYI: my GP brake Pads like most 04-07 GP's lasted 65,000 trouble free miles. Also my rotors did not shake. Not all GM cars are as bad as you make it. All companies have good and bad models GM is no different.

My buddy makes a living fixing the imports with many of the same problems too.

Sorry but you can't just throw a blanket over all of GM products or anyone elses and call them all junk or great. I is just not accurate to do so to any automaker.
Seems the Good cars cannot save the bad...ya think? Lets see do I want a Caddillac or Lexus.......Easy choice especially when it comes to resale value.
I got $9000 for a 5 year old Avalon with 90K miles. Try that with any Caddy. Honda has also overtaken the Ford division this year in total car sales and is closing the gap with Chevrolet which is behind Toyota.......You cannot legislate people to buy American cars. People want value, Resale, QC. They will and routinely pay MORE for it.

Just look at those flying to Washington in their Private Jets begging for money.......There's your answer. They are out of touch and arrogant, It doesn't take an MBA to understand the failings of the US Auto Industry. It doesn't take a genius to understand why Toyota outsells GM world wide. IT doesn't take A Wall Street Guru to see Toyota stock at $64 dollars while GM and Ford is practically a pink sheet stock and has been a short seller's dream. It certainly doesn't take a Legal expert to understand the idiocy of GM's contracts with the UAW.

Yeah the UAW is backpedaling big time now. LOL They are doing everything they can to save their asses. Where were they when they were threatening and carrying out strikes? What were the CEOS and boards thinking when they caved in to UAW demands. They sacrificed the product to line the pockets of HS graduate laborers who earn more then PHD professors!! LOL

There's the real issue. MORE DOLLARS IN THE CAR not people's pockets is a good start. Catch a clue from James Bond Movies..PUT THE MONEY ON THE SCREEN....
Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 AM
Founding Member

Thanks for the reports gang. Thread closed.