General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Weak Links for Brand = Chevy HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 PM

I actually even take issue with the plastic comment. What should be in place of it? Fake fur? Velour? "Corenthan Leather"? (that's for us older guys who would remember that Chrysler ad on TV) Plastic Wood trim?

Maybe some vinyl trim would be a break between pieces of the plastic, but I'm sure if they compare all cars in this price level, inch for inch, they'll contain about the same layout.

And the nonsense about the speed - some guy takes a Sunday drive and his daddy owns the magazine or something, so he gets to write an article. Reminds me of some of the Yahoo sports writers.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Not sure what model he drove, or what was wrong with it, but my 2LT is far from slow.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Slow is a matter of perspective. What did the HRR have and what did he compare it to???
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
I'll reserve the Aveo as weakest link for Chevy though I do agree with his comment about the HHR "the interior was full of hard plastics and the doors sounded cheap and hollow."
I did not click the link and read this what sounds like an HHR Bashing.

But I wanted to comment on your post about the interior and the doors. (I understand it was the Writers comments.)

True the interior is all Plastic for the most part, I'm not a huge fan of all Plastic, but put into perspective, the HHR was/is a Retro Econobox with decent gas mileage. Was never intended to be a fine Luxury automobile.

The doors are Light and Hollow sounding, I agree with that. Easy Fix for that in my case was to add sound deadener in the doors, it made a HUGE Improvement.

With a little research, you can add some actual Material to the door panels and even the dash to soften them if you want.
Sure it would have been nice if this was done at the Factory but it wasn't.

I sure would Not put it in the catagory of the Chevy Vega.

The HHR is a good retro utilitarian car with many uses for many needs.

It is also a nice Base for Customizing.

I have Peeked into the windows of those foreign Cubed/Box shaped cars on used car lots and see Alot of all Plastic interiors now days.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Not sure what model he drove, or what was wrong with it, but my 2LT is far from slow.
Mine does fine by me, & that's the bottom line..
Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 PM

Corinthian leather baby!

Originally Posted by ajochum
i actually even take issue with the plastic comment. What should be in place of it? Fake fur? Velour? "corenthan leather"? (that's for us older guys who would remember that chrysler ad on tv) plastic wood trim?

Maybe some vinyl trim would be a break between pieces of the plastic, but i'm sure if they compare all cars in this price level, inch for inch, they'll contain about the same layout.

And the nonsense about the speed - some guy takes a sunday drive and his daddy owns the magazine or something, so he gets to write an article. Reminds me of some of the yahoo sports writers.
ftw!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 AM

You guys that think these doors are light and hollow-sounding should try living with Subaru doors like I have the past 6 years. They are much lighter and tinnier-sounding - and they dent easily. My grade school kids made their impressions....

Yet this clown probably LOVES Imprezas. Unamused here.

The HHR's not a Mercedes with vault-like door closure, but everybody knows that. It IS pretty good at being useful, fun, and value-oriented. That's why people buy them. If Chevy is tarnished by anything, it's the Aveo (to be fixed this year), the Colorado (still miss my S-10), or old Impala (fine car, but boring and needs an update).
Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Its just the opinions of a few. No need to get worked up about. Enjoy your ride and reminisce about it many years from now long after its lived its useful life. And enjoy the fact that those who hate the HHR probably won't even remember the cars they drove 20 years prior.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM

I'd have to agree the Aveo is the weak link in the Chevrolet family. Whoever wrote the article is probably a "weak link" themselves. My old 2.2L was on the slower side, but what stock 2.2L isn't?

Last edited by Tyler Harvey; 08-23-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:58 PM

My 2.2 HHR does feel slow...

Until I look down at the speedometer.... whoops gotta watch that!

Quick Reply: Weak Links for Brand = Chevy HHR?