General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by PrairieHHR
That is looking extremely cool. This is the kind of stuff people were looking forward to when the HHR was introduced. Great job, can't wait to see the finished product!
Thank You PrairieHHR! I can't wait to see the finished product either...lol
Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Deceased

Watched it disappear on the back of a rollback, went to go from park to drive this morning and the shifter's guts fell apart.

Bummed a ride to work, its at the dealer getting a new shifter, these things will happen with 199,000 miles on the clock.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM

cool

Sharp and it will be one unique HHR. I'd love to shoot it for you. What is your paint scheme? Are you sticking with the same color? Two tone? Stripes?

Boydie

Originally Posted by Benjiwah
Began adding filler to the temporary body work to refine the shape...starting to see real progress! :)

Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM

Fenton

Mark, I am not too far from you. If you hear of an HHR cruise in our area please let me know.
Looks like the photo you have of your HHR was taken north side Mackinaw bridge.

Originally Posted by MarkD13
Painted that 'fugly ars' muffler - - with a couple coats of black engine enamel -

MD

Last edited by Blue Beast (aka Boydie); 04-29-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boydie
Sharp and it will be one unique HHR. I'd love to shoot it for you. What is your paint scheme? Are you sticking with the same color? Two tone? Stripes?

Boydie
Thanks Boydie! I am sticking with the Sunburst Orange but adding white to the roof and on a side scalap from the trailing edge of the front fender going across the front doors that would curve down toward the rear doors. Also I plan on crafting a front visor and rear spoiler (I don't particularly like the those that are on the market). Then I want to black out the pilars. Still a long way from having it ready to be shot. And by shoot it, you are refering to the paint correct?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Shoot/Spray (trades jargon)

Yeah Paint. I haven't painted one in a while.

Your plan sounds good.

Boydie
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM

More on my taillights

Finally got the taillight job done.

Photos below show the difference between the upper and the lower openings for the taillights and backup lights. You have a good 1/2 an inch of metal to cut out. Nuts that hold the lights in are 10mm and a socket works nicely. Once you do this there is no going back.

I finally got the correct tin snips, (Wiss brand) with the small cutting end tips. Cut out as close to 1/2 inch of metal with the snips as you can then grind smooth. Grind until you get the top lens to fit exactly in the lower. Be careful... you can mark your nice paint job if you are careless. I used a round file and a grinding bit in my 1/4 inch drill motor.

You need to use the larger light socket and the larger bulb (same as the top light). If you don't change the light socket and bulb the bottom light won't shine as big and as bright as the top one.

For wiring just follow color codes and tie into the top wires. You can purchase 3 way solderless connectors to make this part easier. If you get your stuff from a salvage yard make sure to get as much wire as you can.

(I think this is a easy, inexpensive mod and I like the look of both lens coming on when you hit the brakes or use the turn signals.)

If you don't see the photos go to my gallery.

Boydie

Last edited by Blue Beast (aka Boydie); 04-29-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: photos
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM

I gave mine a bath today. The HHR is now nice and clean.

On a side note this is my 800th post and also my 100th post in this thread lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Boydie,

Your light idea is brilliant! The dead zone of the lower light has always bugged me about the HHR....Well done sir. Also, I don't have anyone picked yet to do the paint job on my HHR/SUPER 8/2. When you say you haven't painted one for awhile, did you get out of painting cars? I live in Northern Indiana about three hours away from Elsie and would gladly make the drive for expert paint work!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Deceased

Got the '06 back this evening, wasn't the shifter, instead it was the shift cable that took a powder this morning.

Not the way I wanted to start my day, but such is life.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?