General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Administrator

I have the remote start feature, I use it to start up from about the front door till I get to the car in the winter time.

Mike you getting itchy for an Impala police cruiser ? There are several on the old interweb for sale! V8 beefed up suspension, brakes and rear wheel drive !!
Old 04-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 843de
If only the last half of your first sentence was true Boydie, but manual transmissions are going the way of the Passenger Pidgeon in the 19th Century. According to 2014 sales figures for the U.S. and Canada, the "Take Rate" or buyer preference for new vehicles equipped with manual gearboxes has stayed flat.

Depending on the vehicle class, manual transmissions account for only 5-8% of total sales, a number which has stayed basically flat for the last decade. And on some models, like the Corvette for example, shifting for yourself adds $1,725 to the sticker price.

If customers are becoming more shiftless(pun intended), there's very little incentive to spend the engineering dollars on a remote start equipped 5-Speed, when all John or Jane Q. Public really wants is more in car infotainment junk.

We're looking at a new Impala to replace either the Fiat or my 2011 HHR, and the first thing the salesman started going on about was "Bluetooth connectivity and Pandora Streaming.....".

Screw the radio, let's see what she's got under the hood fer crying out loud.
Being you already HAVE a MOPAR product, why not just pull some strings, and get a Pursuit Charger.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Deceased

We're looking at a civilian Impala LTZ, something more "kid hauling" friendly now that Dusty is growing like a weed.

A Caprice PPV, would be a very distant possibility as Chevrolet has lowered the boom on any dealers who have broken the rules and sold them to non-law enforcement customers. And they are really basic cars, I've only seen one in private hands, and the rubber hoseable floor made it look like an early 90's Chevy W/T 1500 inside.

The SS sedan is quite nice, and a hoot to drive since it's a four door 'Vette, but for the money you don't get much more than a rumbly V-8 and an insurance bill that would choke a horse. Better to buy a Caddy at that point.

We tried out a Traverse, but they are so huge and quite thirsty, and something like a Tahoe is utterly out of the question.

If the trade allowance number and the "Invoice + $250" deal add up like I want them to, I'd be financing the balance through my employer at 3.32% for 48 months. This would be my first car loan since 1994.

This critter may be coming home with us next week. The key word is may.

And Kev, have you seen what they did to the nose on the Charger for 2015, blech!

When, and if, I trade the 2011 2LT in I'll let ya know. Trading the 500C in went right out the window, Fiats are more reliable than they were in the 70's, but their resale value still stinks.

But not to worry, Paddy the '07 isn't going anywhere, nor is the '06 daily driver. And come this Winter, the piles of boxed up parts will eventually coalesce back into a 2007 LS Panel with a snazzy Silverstone over Hugger Orange paintjob and graphics by Benjiwah of Buick Bijou fame.(If he has the time to do them, that is)
Old 04-17-2015, 01:59 PM

843de

I was speaking of muscle cars, foreign and domestic. All I hear about is 6 and 7 speed manual shifts in those. Generally speaking manual shifts are always much cheaper that autos. I don't know the percentage of manual shifts in those type cars.

But When you make a 6-7 speed manual it IS going to cost more.

Manual shifts have been going the way of the passenger pigeons since the 1960s.

Boydie

843de "If only the last half of your first sentence was true Boydie, but manual transmissions are going the way of the Passenger Pidgeon in the 19th Century. According to 2014 sales figures for the U.S. and Canada, the "Take Rate" or buyer preference for new vehicles equipped with manual gearboxes has stayed flat."
Old 04-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Deceased

Even in high performance cars, the stick shift is going away in favor of those silly "flappy paddle" gear shifts controlling multi-clutch gearboxes.

And there is some weird "War of The Ratios" going on, 6 and 7 speed boxes are so "yesterday" now.

Jaguar just introduced its upcoming 12-Speed transmissions, thats 2 more than Mercedes-Benz has you know.

Whatever happened to the good old days of Muncie M-22 "Rock Crusher" 4-Speeds, or even the bullet proof Powerglides?

How many of us still remember the old "Slip 'N Slide With Powerglide" saying, or even better, how many of us learned to drive in something with "3 On the Tree"?

I haven't actually done anything with one of my HHR's today except watch my wife and mom head off to Sam's Club in the '06. Michelle folded the back seats down before they left, never a good sign...I'm scared!

P.S. The remote start option is one of mankind's greatest inventions Oldblue, warm 'em up in Winter, cool 'em down in Summer. Plus, you can scare the poo out of unsuspecting people in parking lots with it.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:46 PM

P.S. The remote start option is one of mankind's greatest inventions Oldblue, warm 'em up in Winter, cool 'em down in Summer. Plus, you can scare the poo out of unsuspecting people in parking lots with it.
My wife has the remote start on her Jeep Patriot and now my SS has it as well. We watched one guy at Wal-Mart get so confused. He just stood there scratching his head and looking into the window until his wife yelled at him to get in their car. We heard him tell her "there's nobody in the car!" Then of course she yelled back "I don't care, get in!" It has spoiled us. We love it.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

If only the last half of your first sentence was true Boydie, but manual transmissions are going the way of the Passenger Pidgeon in the 19th Century. According to 2014 sales figures for the U.S. and Canada, the "Take Rate" or buyer preference for new vehicles equipped with manual gearboxes has stayed flat.

Depending on the vehicle class, manual transmissions account for only 5-8% of total sales, a number which has stayed basically flat for the last decade. And on some models, like the Corvette for example, shifting for yourself adds $1,725 to the sticker price.

If customers are becoming more shiftless(pun intended), there's very little incentive to spend the engineering dollars on a remote start equipped 5-Speed, when all John or Jane Q. Public really wants is more in car infotainment junk.

We're looking at a new Impala to replace either the Fiat or my 2011 HHR, and the first thing the salesman started going on about was "Bluetooth connectivity and Pandora Streaming.....".

Screw the radio, let's see what she's got under the hood fer crying out loud.
I think you are mistaken regarding the highlighted area above. You have the option costs reversed......it is $1725 retail for the auto. Ask me how I know

Also, speaking of the Corvette, GM lists the 8 speed auto slightly faster than the manual 8 speed in 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. So to a certain extent "super Cars may witness a more serious decline in the sales of manual trans. But at this time the manual still rules on the track. But that change is coming also.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Deceased

Yes Snoopy, I stand corrected. The 7-Speed manual transmission is a $0 option on the 2015 Corvette, it's the 8-Speed "Flappy Paddle" box that will empty your pockets of an additional $1,725

But what's another $1,700 when a base model 'Vette starts at $55,995 before you even get to the optional equipment.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:55 PM

Well, I tried a new injector seal kit to fix the P0420, since new injectors fixed it for 68 monitor runs. NO.

That Caprice PPV has 2 batteries and either a 4.3L or a 6.0L and really expensive disc brakes. It is an Australian Pontiac G8, rebadged. Don't know were they make them now. Looks just like an Impala (surprise, surprise), but it has fake vents.

We stock the brakes for the local county; they only have 1 Caprice. New rotors and pads at least 3 times in 5 months. It's the daytime "accident" deputy that drives it.
I think they still have 5-10 Crown Vics waiting in the back lot.

Last edited by donbrew; 04-18-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:00 PM

"P.S. The remote start option is one of mankind's greatest inventions Oldblue, warm 'em up in Winter, cool 'em down in Summer. Plus, you can scare the poo out of unsuspecting people in parking lots with it."

I thought the A/c did not run in remote start? I enjoy the "beep-beep" of the lock/unlock button at times.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?