General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 06:53 AM
Administrator

My two HHR’s got out for a drive, just to the store and the other to pickup the MIL later in the day for supper.

we’ll need a close up , of those black rims , very cool!!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
we’ll need a close up , of those black rims , very cool!!
Already a bit of dirt on them...the beauty of black I suppose.

They are not perfect by any means. I learned a lot about spray painting in this process.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 AM

Well not today but yesterday...

Went to the local u pick and got a better hood. Grey/silver but with only a minor dent on passenger side but it was better then the one on the cat. Hard to find them in good condition with the front not pushed in at all. Especially in Miami. While I was there I picked up to front fender liners and fog light inserts (covers). Couldn't find any fog lights but mine didn't come with them anyways.

The car is getting back to shape. Looking for a good shop to paint the hood to match the Sunburst Orange. Kind of like the silver/orange combo though.

Also thought I saw a wheel with a good tire still on it that matches mine. Maybe going back later to check. Previous owner installed a aftermarket radio but installed incorrectly I guess because the car doesn't chime.

All in all a successful day for the HHR.

Anyone know how much to maybe do a two tone and maybe paint the top and back the silver/grey color to match the hood?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Johnciaccio
Well not today but yesterday...

Went to the local u pick and got a better hood. Grey/silver but with only a minor dent on passenger side but it was better then the one on the cat. Hard to find them in good condition with the front not pushed in at all. Especially in Miami. While I was there I picked up to front fender liners and fog light inserts (covers). Couldn't find any fog lights but mine didn't come with them anyways.

The car is getting back to shape. Looking for a good shop to paint the hood to match the Sunburst Orange. Kind of like the silver/orange combo though.

Also thought I saw a wheel with a good tire still on it that matches mine. Maybe going back later to check. Previous owner installed a aftermarket radio but installed incorrectly I guess because the car doesn't chime.

All in all a successful day for the HHR.

Anyone know how much to maybe do a two tone and maybe paint the top and back the silver/grey color to match the hood?
It is my understanding that the aftermarket radios require a hookup kit with a chime in order to maintain those. The installer probably just 'made it work' by figuring out the wiring without the proper kit.

How do I know? I just ordered a stereo with what should be the proper kit on Crutchfield. That'll be here Tuesday. Here is what the hookup kit looks like (notice the included chime):
Old 08-29-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by vogtrj
I don't do a lot with my HHR except keeping it running but my wheels were terribly banged up. I decided to clean them up and paint them black.
I've got a silver HHR that I want to black out the trim on... this is kinda what I want to do with mine... but to be perfectly honest, I'm too lazy to do this to the 'chrome' clad ones I have... I'll probably just grab some 17" black star steelies off a Malibu/Aura/Pontiac
Old 08-29-2019, 12:24 PM

I see it seems to be expensive to put in an aftermarket radio. I haven't pulled out the radio that's in it now. It looks like they just threw in anything that kind of works. This unit has a motorized touch screen that doesn't come out but otherwise works. That have it wired (nicely done) for a amp in the back and the sub has been changed but doesn't function. I have a feeling the wiring is incorrect. Going to find out if there's a factory be amp. I might just find a oem radio to put in. Hopefully the original plugs are still there
Old 08-29-2019, 12:52 PM

Talking Painted Calipers and replaced rotors with slotted

Before the painted calipers and after I cleaned rust and grime

Painting calipers and rotors! Finished product

Painted calipers
Old 08-29-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Johnciaccio
I see it seems to be expensive to put in an aftermarket radio. I haven't pulled out the radio that's in it now. It looks like they just threw in anything that kind of works. This unit has a motorized touch screen that doesn't come out but otherwise works. That have it wired (nicely done) for a amp in the back and the sub has been changed but doesn't function. I have a feeling the wiring is incorrect. Going to find out if there's a factory be amp. I might just find a oem radio to put in. Hopefully the original plugs are still there
Check out Crutchfield.com. I bought a JVC digital media (no cd with bluetooth) with the hookup kit and splicers for $110. Crutchfield also supplies the instructions and they have cheaper models. My fear for you is that the last guy may have butchered the factory wiring making it difficult for a proper installation.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by thomashhr
Painted Calipers
Those are beautiful. I'm considering that as my next move. That Red would look amazing inside my Black wheels.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:13 PM

Yes no way to tell until I open it up. That's a good deal from crutchfield. I will definitely check it out. I would like to put in a double din unit as they look more natural the a single din with an adapter like what's in it now.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?