General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:33 PM

The other day my wife pulled broke the door handle while trying to exit the driver's seat. She can be a bit heavy handed but I've watched for her pulling on it to close the door - she doesn't do it. I suppose each one breaks in its own unique way.

Anyhoo I found a L/R PAIR of METAL replacements on Ebay for less than $27. Seemed like a good Idea to put the passenger side in stock, since the driver's side alone was about $18.

These are NOT the Dorman "assemblies," just the handle, a spring, a metal pin, and a circlip the size of a lentil. The metal is rather heavy, even thicker than the plastic.

Good thing I bought the pair, because I lost the first circlip.

Pretty easy, overall. Seems like the assembly would be a lot more unnecessary work.

While replacing a door handle, I decided to look into the window switches that were failing to lower the rear windows, hoping that cleaning the contacts would solve the problem. (Up worked fine, coulda been worse, right?)

Having the door panel off made it easier to figure out how to remove the switch assembly, but it turns out it could have been easily removed with the panel in place; it just snaps in. You need to lift the back first, though.

I managed to pry the door switch assy from the bezel and open it up. Was happy to find that the buttons appeared to be made of copper.

Scrubbed the contacts on the green board and the buttons with a pink pearl, dusted away every crumb, then dusted some more. Crumbs are bad around contacts. (Edit - I also gave each contact a quick wipe with 91% isopropyl on a q-tip, and was carful not to touch after that.) Put it all together and everything worked!

The mirrors were working fine so I didn't mess with those switches. (Did successfully clean the mirror switch contacts on a 2008 once upon a time, though.)

OK, now I can safely reinstall the door panel, right? Done. Now what? How come the lock button doesn't do anything? Oh, crap, forgot to plug it back in. So I had the same panel off twice in one day. Now I'm an expert.

Last edited by PulpFriction; 11-06-2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 11-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Nice write up, thank you for the photo’s and your time to share your method of repairing the switches and the handle.

Today, we ride out to the mighty Niagara River to check out the scow , it moved on Halloween, after sitting for 101 years, it run aground in 1918.
It’s a tourist attraction , with some history!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:48 PM

This is the best contact cleaner/restorer ive found.
Its what professional musicians and sound people use to maintain their equipment. Worked great on our window switches.
https://caig.com/deoxit-gold-g-series/
Old 11-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Administrator

This is the scow in it’s new location the hole in the hull on the left is the one that held it in place in rocks for 101 years

This is the location of the rocks the scow was stuck on since 1918
Old 11-07-2019, 09:53 AM

took a little while to gather them all... but finally got myself a full NOS set

Old 11-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Heavy rains today, so I naturally had an appt I couldn't reschedule. So mine is filthy.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:23 AM

The rain is due here today, so yesterday I got the headlamp bulbs replaced. I am trying a lamp from Hella. We will see.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

This is the scow in it’s new location the hole in the hull on the left is the one that held it in place in rocks for 101 years

I read about that barge moving :O I'll have to go back up there to see it :) Been years since I have been to the falls !
Old 11-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Come on up! Rich.

Today, an 1 or 2 of snow and I have an appointment for the Terrain with the dealership, yuck , it has been in the garage since October 7th.
yesterday we drove out to Long Point in Lake Erie, we saw several flocks of Trumpeter Swans ready to fly south .
I’m ready now but we won’t be headed south until April.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

Just read about this yesterday.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?