General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 10:31 AM

was contemplating ordering some parts to keep in reserve, since it's starting to get that age where GM will be discontinuing more and more #s... hoping to keep it at least another 100K.... what is the lifespan you guy's have seen on the common issue parts?
the dealer I bought it from replaced the sunvisor for me, wondering if I should get another one to hold onto, or if this new one will last long enough
my manager said when they had HHRs in the fleet they had to replace the shifter in just about every single one of them, I checked the service history on mine before I got it, didn't show it being done, wondering if that's something I should anticipate too
Old 11-24-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Cat Man HHR
Go to my other thread and most of the answers should be there. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...s-fluke-59217/
Thanks for your link.
Interesting to look at but not while I'm driving.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:38 PM
Administrator

heathenhhr, the shifter is a extended warranty part, if it’s sticking in park , your GM dealership should replace it free of charge

Today we drove in the country for a couple of hours then had supper at a neat restaurant along the Niagara River parkway, the BlackSwan rode nice and smooth, we stopped and walked a total of 4 miles in two stops
Old 11-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
heathenhhr, the shifter is a extended warranty part, if it’s sticking in park , your GM dealership should replace it free of charge
Key Word "If" it's sticking in park when the Dealer inspects for this condition.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Today a ride out to our friends farm, replaced the ignition switch on her JD 655 tractor, and replaced worn out entry door handle for her , while she and Sweetie had a good gab fest. I had the rear hatch open and her car Percy jumped in and curled up !
Old 11-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Redline Good Shift Boot rocks!

Well, I got the new shift boot in! I am very impressed with the quality and fit of the Redline Goods Shift Boot.

Found out the hard way, the method to get the shift knob and boot off on the SS is very different from the standard HHR.
Once you get the cap off on the knob and remove the Torx screw, the saga has just begun. Trust me when I say you will not be able to get the thing off without a 3-prong gear puller!
I tried several different methods and saw they would not work when a FaceBook friend mentioned the puller. Thank god for that.

After taping up the knob (to protect it) I got the three "legs" wrapped around the bottom of the knob and started turning the big shaft on the puller.
It took some doing and I really had to crank on the ratchet, but it eventually started coming up and then off.
The reverse lockout parts were carefully set aside and the lockout handle and old boot came off in one piece.
Turned the old boot inside out and cut the zip tie so the old boot would come off. Proceeded to rip the old one off the mounting ring and removed about half the staples.

Putting the new one on was snug and I found I did not need to staple the new one on, it wrapped so tightly around the ring, it just kind of fit.
If I have to glue it on or something later I will. Bottom line is, it looks killer!

Now have to find a friction-fit knob I like since our shifter shafts are not threaded and my knob looks like crap!

Old 11-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Nice looking shift boot.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Very cool shifter boot!

today a wash and vacuum, then a wax ready for winter.
We already have had a 10 inch dumping of snow a couple of weeks ago, caught me off guard.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Thanks guys, pretty pleased with it myself!
They have a crazy assortment of colors and threads available too, to match your color scheme.

Originally Posted by sleeper
Nice looking shift boot.
Originally Posted by Oldblue
Very cool shifter boot!

today a wash and vacuum, then a wax ready for winter.
We already have had a 10 inch dumping of snow a couple of weeks ago, caught me off guard.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Well the old CEL or MIL came on today it’s code P0496, so I’ll reset it and see if it reoccurs . I checked connections and fittings at the vent and purge valve solenoids.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?