General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by OshawaHHRss

Replaced the front hinges on my daily. The hinges from the back doors are often in good shape in the scrap yards and fit the front fyi
Excellent info to bookmark for sure! I need to get the swing limiter bar for the driver’s door as apparently the PO decided that they preferred to have the door free swing and clipped off the plastic and just left the metal. I don’t like free-swing doors! Personal preference I suppose.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bonez
Did you add Carbon fiber?
Good eye Bonez. It's faux carbon fiber. It's just a vinyl wrap material. I'm going to try to do it to all of the silver painted interior trim parts. If I can't because of shape or for whatever reason, we have a couple of hydrographic places around me that can probably do it for me.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by CC Rider
Sorry I could not fix the orientation of the photos. Decided to work some dents on my HHR. There were 3 small ones that I did not photograph, and this big one on the right rear door. Not perfect, but is much less noticeable.
Hi CC Rider,
Do you mind sharing where you got your PDR glue kit from? I have a few small dents and want to try this method of getting them out before I get too crazy with it.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by rorr
Hi CC Rider,
Do you mind sharing where you got your PDR glue kit from? I have a few small dents and want to try this method of getting them out before I get too crazy with it.
Go on YouTube and learn a little about PDR.
Many types of glue can be used for temperature and humidity.
Also many types of tools also.
In the search box on YouTube put in "PDR 101" and see what comes up.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Today we decided to just stay home, no real need for any trips to the store for anything. Yesterday we FaceTime’d with the kiddos for their Easter Egg hunt indoors. They had fun!
I ordered a pair of axle seals and a transmission filter, from RockAuto, unfortunately they can’t ship liquids, like transmission fluid so, I’ll have to find a GM store open over here, my local GM dealership is closed until the 23rd per essential business shutdown, my parts manager will price match RockAuto’s price, it pays to stay friends with guys you’ve known for 40 to 45 years.
It’s raining here , that steady it’s spring rain, April showers and May flowers kinda rain, and it’s almost 60 degrees so there’s tgg Hf at going for us.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by rorr
Hi CC Rider,
To start, I ordered this kit;
Amazon Amazon

After doing my first repair, I realized I need more pull tabs, so I ordered these;
Amazon Amazon

I use lacquer thinner to dissolve the glue on the tabs, but sometimes the glue stays on the tab. Just throw it away.

The pull tool is not practical in some areas where a contour or body line is, or if a door handle or some other obstruction is in the way. The pull tool has to placed on a flat area. Also, a pull tool is not practical pulling large dents. Therefore, I ordered this slide hammer;
Amazon Amazon

PDR takes practice. If you can find an inexpensive fender or door at a pick and pay, buy it and practice on it. Larger dents take more time, but small dents take more finesse. My son's HHR had a deep dent on the back lift gate through the body line. You cannot start by pulling on that body line, start above, followed by below, then alternate if the dent is still there. Got most of it out, but the rest need to be pushed out. I have those tools too, but I didn't feel like removing the interior panel.

When you are happy with the repair, there will be some scratches in the paint that will need buffing. I'll be buffing the paint out in the coming months.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Go on YouTube and learn a little about PDR.
Ah, yes. YouTube University. That I will definitely do. I was more hoping for a brand name, or source that actually works for other DIYers. There are so many options out there.

Thanks Cat Man!
Old 04-13-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by CC Rider
To start, I ordered this kit;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.
This helps a ton! Thank you CC Rider!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:45 PM

Ran over to Indiana & picked up a vintage cast iron bird bath, stopped for a photo op.

Pleasant Corners
Old 04-14-2020, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by wildherre
Ran over to Indiana & picked up a vintage cast iron bird bath, stopped for a photo op.

Pleasant Corners
that is about a perfect as a picture can get 😍!!

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?