General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
A while ago (maybe 15 yrs ago?), they changed the formula for PT wood from CCA (chromated copper arsenate) to remove the chromate and arsenic in it. It was the arsenic that killed mold and insects.

The new formula is ACQ (alkaline copper quaternary) and uses copper and ammonium compounds to kill mold and insects (boat bottom paint contains copper to keep marine organisms from sticking to the hull) as copper is toxic to living things.

Unfortunately the new formula is highly corrosive. You have to use stainless or coated fasteners or else it will eat through the fastener in a short time. Look for fasteners that are rated approved for ACQ.
That's interesting.
Thanks for the brain candy.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:45 PM

received my title.............................

Old 05-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Today, after waiting a week for the Camo tool and box of fasteners, rain! So this afternoon, I’ll be rolling out to the farm for eggs!
As you can see in the reflection in my lowering springs photos , I don’t require hair cutting as much as scalp polishing
Shine in harvest moon! Age has given me the chrome dome!!
Blue- The polishing will make the rain bead & roll off quicker.

Originally Posted by Truckingeek
I call my shade of hair "Chrome"
Truckingeek- I like that, sounds much better that grey or white.. Yea Chrome hair.

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Yeah... no bald spot here.

The HHR will likely spend another day or two in the driveway...
Greybeard- all bald ?

Originally Posted by DwRed2LT
DwRed- Been my experience they all run better when the title is home. Cool Beans.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by DwRed2LT
Congrats!! Now you can Celebrate with a new set of tires or wheels!! 😁🤙🏻
Old 05-12-2020, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbum1
What a beautiful day for a car ride. sunny day and blue sky.. Traveled north about 40 miles to St Petersburg, FL, as I passed over the top of the Skyway Bridge my odometer turned to 140000. Been a great ride with little to worry about in the way of repairs,. Shocks, struts, brakes routine stuff turn signal, thermostat.
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but what I read from others on here, maybe I got a good one. Consumer Reports does indicate the 2007 HHR as the least problems . Would like to find another one with low miles

Happy Motoring to all,
Beachbum1
Glad to hear this. I think there’s probably just an average amount of issues with this car as any GM, but I think the difference is that there’s a lot of HHR people (myself included) who are perfectionists and pride themselves with getting it/keeping it in top shape, opposed to someone who owns (for instance) an Equinox. Probably not nearly as much owner’s pride in that vehicle.
I’m also curious of production numbers vs. reported issues. I wonder if there’s a cross-section chart available that shows a scale of each year side-by-side with issues vs. # of units produced all on one chart. I wonder if there’s much less issues reported with the lower production years, and I would guess highest issues with ‘06 for getting out the kinks.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:26 AM
Administrator

The 06 models are still rolling along , still looking nice, we have a lot in my home town, here 2 ‘07’s enjoying the Florida sun , the silver one is Beachbum1’s

We had a G2G , burgers and beers back in April 2017. Near Annabelle Island.

Pride of ownership is a factor in the HHR, I haven’t met an owner yet that didn’t take care of their ride.

Today the BlackSwan sits , the rain has cleared and the temperature will be in the high 40’s, so I have a deck to put together!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:29 AM

I haven't posted in a while but I am the original owner of a 2006 HHR. I have been spending my stay at home time rebuilding the front suspension of my HHR. New sway bar bushings, inner and outer tie rods and sway bar links. Going to clean throttle body today. 180,000 miles on the odometer and still driving daily.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:43 PM

Still working full-time, but I have some 'Corona Chores' of my own.

Deck & Fence Before

Pressure Washed Deck

Fence before pressure washed both sides.

After!
Old 05-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Administrator

My deck was beyond pressure washing, after 21 years it was time for some lumber! The Camo hidden deck screws and tool worked great, to bad it’ll sit on a shelve .

The Camo tool spaces the deck boards out by 3/16, then guides the screws in the edge of the board, so no exposed screws

I put up a new railing, new 6x6 posts , go big or go home , right , the posts are to match our fence with 6x6 posts and 1 x 6 fence boards, I’ll finish the railing and privacy fence tomorrow

Here’s a shot of our fence same brown wood pressure treated.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:20 PM

I like that brownwood!
My deck is only a few years old but my
fence is 20 years old. Only had to replace 11 pickets before I stained. I do have one pole that’s leaning and from what I’ve read, it doesn’t sound like fun attempting to correct it.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?