General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by rorr
Planetrj, that's very cool!
If I didn't know any better, that looks like clear urethane poured on top of the vinyl. Did you get yours from Rvinyl? Or did you get it from some other eBay seller?

*Edit*
I see where you got yours from - coolcustomcar. That is a super nice kit. I will use that for when I build my girlfriend's SS. She wants the wood grain look.
BTW - this isn't vinyl. This is Real Carbon Fiber with about 2mm thick Polycarb type material w/UV Block.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by rorr
Installed a new center badge on my girlfriend's LT. Found it on eBay for $13.96:

The same seller had one with red SS logo for mine to match the interior...😁

Gonna get the motor out of my kid's sapphire titanium LS today. Picked it up super cheap with a smoked timing chain. Gonna replace it with the running gear out of my girlfriend's LT, then eventually swap into her LT the entire harness, interior and running gear of a salvage SS I picked up cheap that was crashed in the front end. Never a dull moment around our household...🤪
Uncanny! I just received the replacement center button too (was dented when I bought the car).. I wish they made a center cap that just said "HHR" like the print in the SS, but since I have an LT, I think it's a little too much for my econo-ride. But, I still want to try to figure out how to sand down the yellow and have it just silver (without messing it up). Have you figured out how to remove all the Airbag assembly yet? I haven't found the best YouTube vids yet. Also going to switch to the leather wheel while I'm at it, since I got one back in January from a Part-out, and looks like brand new. I just got the correct wheel puller with the "J" neck bars. So, pulling the entire wheel, so I know I'm going to be spending an entire day doing that gigantic job. lol
Old 06-07-2020, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by planetrj
But, I still want to try to figure out how to sand down the yellow and have it just silver (without messing it up).
planetrj- No sanding necessary, I removed the gold/ yellow tone off my steering wheel, & all 4 rim bow-ties by just using some very mild rubbing compound. It comes off easy, then use a polish to get the sheen back like the rest.

My ride got a good wash & wax this afternoon.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
planetrj- No sanding necessary, I removed the gold/ yellow tone off my steering wheel, & all 4 rim bow-ties by just using some very mild rubbing compound. It comes off easy, then use a polish to get the sheen back like the rest.

My ride got a good wash & wax this afternoon.
Wow... thanks for the head's up.. I wouldn't have guessed it. Maybe it's only a paint then? I was imagining that it was annodized.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:09 AM

Uncanny! I just received the replacement center button too (was dented when I bought the car).. I wish they made a center cap that just said "HHR" like the print in the SS, but since I have an LT, I think it's a little too much for my econo-ride. But, I still want to try to figure out how to sand down the yellow and have it just silver (without messing it up). Have you figured out how to remove all the Airbag assembly yet? I haven't found the best YouTube vids yet. Also going to switch to the leather wheel while I'm at it, since I got one back in January from a Part-out, and looks like brand new. I just got the correct wheel puller with the "J" neck bars. So, pulling the entire wheel, so I know I'm going to be spending an entire day doing that gigantic job. lol
Since the airbag is held onto the hub with rivets, I didn't disassemble the airbag completely to remove the old one and fold the tabs of the new one back down. I carefully pried the old one out without damaging the plastic around the badge. Then, I cut down the tabs, maybe a 3rd of their original length. After straightening them as best I could after cutting them, I popped the new one in place. I was anticipating needing some silicone to help hold it down, and I may still need to in the future, but for now, it's holding in place quite well.

BTW, thanks for the info on your dash kit. That's crazy it is made from real carbon.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Just had a great social distancing visit from Oldblue, discussed all things HHR and even had some help installing a lower control arm bushing.
Thanks for the coffee. My turn next.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Yes, sir, it’s great to visit and have a chat about our HHR’s . Bring the parts , the shop is open!
Old 06-08-2020, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Wow... thanks for the head's up.. I wouldn't have guessed it. Maybe it's only a paint then? I was imagining that it was annodized.
Whatever it is, it is easily removed, I hated that cheap yellow/gold fake look. I got rid of it asap back in 2009.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Whatever it is, it is easily removed, I hated that cheap yellow/gold fake look. I got rid of it asap back in 2009.
I agree! It’s very tacky looking and sort of reminds me of the big yellow spray painted bowtie on my aunty’s ‘78 Chevette. Cheap.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

I agree! It’s very tacky looking and sort of reminds me of the big yellow spray painted bowtie on my aunty’s ‘78 Chevette. Cheap.
Yep, very tacky indeed. Cheap.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?