General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Just finished snow removal of our driveway, my 1978 MTD snow thrower started first pull of the starter cord! And now to rest up more snow is coming!
Old 02-16-2021, 11:20 AM

We received about 14" of snow last night.

Oldblue, that 1978 MTD is built far, far better than the flimsy snowblowers they sell today.

I have a 1982 Toro 724 (7hp, 24" width) that still starts on the first pull. The sheet metal is far thicker than the new models.

However, this is what we use now to clear snow:

Steve
Old 02-16-2021, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Hey, that’s the ticket! How’s Oldblue doing, all fixed ?
Old 02-16-2021, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Hey, that’s the ticket! How’s Oldblue doing, all fixed ?
I still need to straighten out the frame extension that the bumper mounts to. It folded on itself a small amount, which pulled it down along with the radiator support that is mounted to it.

I could probably get away with it using only the straightening I have done so far, but I still would like to bend it up the remaining 1/2" or so to make it easier to align the hood, fender and bumper. Also for future safety.

I may end up chaining it to the barn post and then jerking the car back to straighten it out (since I don't have a frame machine). That worked with the deer hit on my old HHR.

I already removed the fender, hood, bumper and headlight assemblies (they were almost brand new) from my old HHR to put on Oldblue.

Yesterday, I noticed a small leak in the radiator so I bought a new radiator from Rock Auto, which should be here today or tomorrow.

I also had to replace the radiator fan assembly because the plastic was cracked. Thank God for Rock Auto!

Steve

Old 02-16-2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lonwane
You guys get all the fun.
I was out carching up on some yard work in shorts and a t shirt.
I have a 2010 SS tucked away for the Winter in Ohio, safe from the nasty blizzard we had last night. She’s from Phoenix; bet she wishes she was back home.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Glad you’re keeping that SS safe and warm till spring!

fastsuv , I wondered if the rad was damaged at all, glad you spotted that leak and will replace the rad, and fan. You’re idea of the barn post is valid, I straightened the frame horn in a ‘64 Fairlane, bent by a tree, I wrapped a chain around a tree and then backed up the car just by gravity back down the driveway, just enough to move the frame back into spec’s after three pulls. I recall your drive has a similar slope to use the gravity method maybe chained to the fastsuburban?

today was clear the snow day, three times and still snowing, lightly

The snow thrower back in the garage

The driveway cleared

The BlackSwan backed into position

Our driveway doesn’t line up to the curb cut, contractors error

The snow pile to melt away!

Last edited by Oldblue; 02-16-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

I don't like all this white stuff.. We had some flurries, but mostly bone chilling cold outside.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by PittKrewBowling

Got about 5-6" snow here in North Texas. Currently 9 degrees here. I'm parked at work next to the curb but it's not even visible! I've never actually driven in snow but it's much better than driving on ice. many are without power right now.
Ice sucks bad to try to drive in. Stay safe in the snow. Sitting at 1° in Kansas right now. Getting ready to get hit with more snow starting overnight some time.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:27 PM

Left to go to the store and oddly the car was feeling like a boat anchor in the snow today, unlike last night. Stopped to get gas and seen the tire was flat (as tpms sensors were erratic for awhile ) so got 4 new tires and tpms installed, car handles like a dream in the snow now. i tried to make it slide or spin out but she stayed put. Wasnt planning to put any more money into it... but now its 100%
Old 02-16-2021, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez
Left to go to the store and oddly the car was feeling like a boat anchor in the snow today, unlike last night. Stopped to get gas and seen the tire was flat (as tpms sensors were erratic for awhile ) so got 4 new tires and tpms installed, car handles like a dream in the snow now. i tried to make it slide or spin out but she stayed put. Wasnt planning to put any more money into it... but now its 100%
That's great it is 100%. Be safe out there. We are expecting possibly another 2" starting around 4am. 🙄😤

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?