General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Radco
FYI When you install the new replacement rear lift gate struts add a tiny dab of grease on the ball and socket ! , If the Ball bracket breaks (the one on lift gate) only 2 bolts to remove and replace, You scrap yard will have them :)
I did grease it all before installing them.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
That would be good, I might need some Kleenex, I still feel connected to Oldblue. Sad it’s pass it’s expiry date!
OK, here are the pictures:

Oil Pan with debris at the bottom (after I took the "windage tray" out that was bolted in it):

Looking up into the engine from below, you can see the damage to the block:

Finally, I picked through the pieces in the oil pan to find the connecting rod, wrist pin, and parts of the piston skirt. Note that the crank end of the rod broke and got bent back over itself:

A little JB Weld and everything should be OK ( just a little humor).

Steve
Old 03-28-2021, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Just cut that cylinders coil and injector wire, it’ll be a 3 cylinder, but better on gas!

But seriously, any signs as to why it let go? Bearings scored? Wrist pin grooved and blue from heat? Low oil.
you got this far, you planning on swapping in a used 2.2 ?

Today Sweetie took her mom out to shop for food. So the BlackSwan did get out in the rain.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Steve- Yeoww !! Things don't look happy in that bottom end. Did the oil pressure drop ?
Old 03-28-2021, 09:29 PM

Just cut that cylinders coil and injector wire, it’ll be a 3 cylinder, but better on gas!

But seriously, any signs as to why it let go? Bearings scored? Wrist pin grooved and blue from heat? Low oil.
you got this far, you planning on swapping in a used 2.2 ?
I'll have to look closer at the parts tomorrow.

So many of the parts are catastrophically destroyed it will be hard to tell. The wrist pin is one of the few intact parts left. The bearing at the crank end of the rod was mangled into a ball basically.

I don't think I will be swapping engines. After 1 1/2 years more here in Buffalo salt, the rockers are pretty bad. I will be looking for a rust-free southern car.

My daughter is sad as she really liked Oldblue.

Steve
Old 03-28-2021, 10:52 PM

That would be good, I might need some Kleenex, I still feel connected to Oldblue. Sad it’s pass it’s expiry date!
I understand the feelings...even though my Charger set at my house a year in totaled condition...it made me sad that it was destroyed and now gone forever. I don't know if I ever showed y'all a pic of the Charger the day I bought it from Carmax...to the left you will see there was foreshadowing events sitting right next to it.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by fastsuv

a little jb weld and everything should be ok ( just a little humor).

Steve
😭😭😭
Old 03-29-2021, 06:32 AM
Administrator

The piston must have seized up, to yank the wrist pin out of it. Rust , yuck! To bad nobody makes rockers for the HHR.

Today is furnace inspection day at mil, so that’s always fun. I might get started on that drywall a little late.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:43 AM

The wrist pin has no grooving or overheating discoloration. The only discoloration is the brownish color that everything has on it from age. The wrist pin feels super smooth, like it was recently polished.

This is the wrist pin and the mangled bearing:

I think the failure started at the big end of the rod at the crank. Then the rod was flailing around punching out pieces of block until finally the wrist pin broke loose at the piston. Just a guess.

If I had been driving instead of my daughter, I may have noticed some clues before failure happened, like the oil pressure light might have been on momentarily just before the big bang. I couldn't have prevented the failure but it might have shed more light onto why.

Interesting thing, I can get 2.4L Ecotec engines for $400 at junkyards, but the 2.2L Ecotecs start at $600. These are junkyards within reasonable driving distance from me. We have an LKQ here, and they want $1200 for a 90K mile 2.2L engine!! I guess they have to pay for their network of locations.

Steve
Old 03-29-2021, 01:07 PM
Administrator

It’s sad to see, but I’m accepting the engine failure!
Steve the front timing chain guide has a Micheal Brandt replacement bolt and the two guide bolts are ARP , still usable, the fuel lines should be reusable and the non Brembo SS caliper brackets and 11.6 inch rotors

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?