General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 06:25 PM

Warranty Work and Repair Order Estimate

I had the ignition switch and lock replaced under warranty today. They told me to bring all the keys in with me. I didn't find out until later this evening that the new ignition key doesn't unlock the door which means they didn't rekey the door. They didn't even tell me that...I could have tossed those keys as I walked out the door thinking I didn't need them.

I have a fuel line leak EXACTLY where the leak is described on the 2008-2009 models that were recalled. I don't understand if it seems to be a problem on other years why are they not included in the recall.

The Repair Order Estimate gave me a good laugh.
  • They want over $1,100 to replace fuel lines.
  • They said I have a bulb out on my left side marker...easy fix for me. They want $65 for that...😆
  • They say I need a transmission system fluid exchange. They want $260 for that.
  • Told me I had a windshield chip...yeah I know. 🙄
  • They said my serpentine belt is cracked. They want $260 for that.
  • Said I needed to replace front stabilizer bar links because they are loose. They want $305 for that.
  • They said I needed to replace lower control arm bushings because they are loose. They want $835 for that.
  • And after repairs I would need a complete 4 wheel thrust angle alignment. And they want $182 for that.
Total estimate $3,000 and I don't think that includes tax...uh no thank you.

They broke it down what needs immediate attention...like I don't know cracked belts and bad fuel lines are a big deal. Bulb replacement and chip repair were also on the list of needing immediate attention.

I decided to try to get a hold of the IRS looking for an old Federal refund from 2016 tax year. I spoke to someone with the IRS. She said they are keeping my 2016 refund because I filed it too late. I tried to discuss it with her on how I know it was late...but not too late to get my refund. And if I was late how was it I received refunds from Kansas and Missouri for 2016. She snipped off that she is Federal not State. Well guess what? States follow Federal guidelines. I didn't know exactly when I mailed it in May of 2020 when I was talking to her. But she said she is just enforcing the rules. Well I did some digging when I got off the phone. I found my Certified Mail receipt showing I mailed it on May 5th. I ran the tracking number and it was delivered May 7th. I researched to find out when the deadline was...it was July 15th. 🙄 She is dead wrong. I tried calling back but they were too busy and I would have to try to call back tomorrow.

There are never enough hours in the day.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie
  • They said my serpentine belt is cracked. They want $260 for that.
I looked at Rockauto...there are numerous different belts. How am I supposed to know which one I need?
Old 04-05-2021, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Ronnie, save a bundle and change the fuel lines yourself

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...follies-62310/

LCA’s are easy fix, no alignment required unless it pulls left or right.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ol-arms-44378/

get the AC Delco kit, the tensioner spring gets weak with age

Old 04-05-2021, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Yes a while back I got the complete kit for wifey's Mopar. Saved money & Gates products have great warranty. From Rock Auto & with the discount..

My Ride got a clean out today, later this month starts our local Cruise shows again.. Yea !!
Old 04-06-2021, 07:26 AM
Administrator

The sway bar end links,

Even with rust about an hour per side, soak the nuts every day for a week in penetrating oil.

Today, off to the hospital for Sweetie’s follow up appointment , then to the farm for fresh eggs, and this afternoon, I get my COVID vaccine!

Ronnie, you know about the RockAuto discount code...
Sleeper is right both kits are an excellent choice.

And don’t forget, those guys make their living off your fear of failing parts!
the transmission fluid is not recommended to be changed in normal service!
Old 04-06-2021, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the great info y'all. I am still waiting to hear back from the dealership about the key situation.

I am currently on hold with the IRS...locked and loaded with my information that proves they are dead wrong.

I will be putting together an order with Rockauto today.

My back is still giving me problems...so I am doing as much as I can from my jacuzzi. It's an absolute beautiful morning.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:32 AM

Oh...and I think my starter is beginning to fail.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ronnie
Oh...and I think my starter is beginning to fail.

What are your symptoms?
Is the motor not running or is the gear not engaging the flywheel?

Steve
Old 04-06-2021, 11:52 AM
Administrator

if the problem just started (pun intended) It could be a botched ignition switch !

Ronnie, don’t drop your phone in that hot tub!

Today, I got to spend an hour downstairs, cleaned up my plumbing and electrical parts bins, I’m at the hospital now waiting for Sweetie to finish her appointment.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
What are your symptoms?
Is the motor not running or is the gear not engaging the flywheel?

Steve
When I turn the key in the ignition...its like it is stuck trying to start the car.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?