General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Rest In Peace

Killing some time out in the Garage. (For my HHR Panel keeping it on topic)

Started cleaning up the Blower (Supercharger)

I decided to go ahead and do it up the Old School way and Polish the hell out of it.

Will be Alot of work and effort, but well worth it. I am keeping track of the hours I have into doing it.

Started on it yesterday for a couple hours and have several into it today.

Should go Nicely with my other Polished Aluminum Items on my Panel.

Several hours of sanding with finer grits of sandpapers to go before starting any polishing. And then that will take Hours to do with 4 different rouges and then polishes.

Before:
Name:  f51a7ba0.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  6.1 KB

During:
Name:  8d30297a.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  61.4 KB
Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

looks good A&P
Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Deceased

Shiny good! That'll look fantastic when its all done.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Rest In Peace

Thanks guys,
I got ALOT of work ahead of me on this one. Labor of Love right?

Even with the die grinders and sanders, there is ALOT of hand sanding to do, every nook and cranny Must be sanded down as Smooth as a babies bottom, or polishing will look like crap.

You cant leave a spec in the finish before you start polishing or it will Show like crazy and you gotta start sanding that area all over to get it Rite.

I got AC (if needed) and a 32" LCD TV in the Garage so I just sit on a padded stool and sand sand sand sand sand sand sand.......

My Arms Hands and Fingers are Sore!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Very Sharp.. when finished you could seal it with clear ano. or zoops.

fwiw; polished alum holds more heat than a raw casting. But looks so much nicer..
Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by sleeper
Very Sharp.. when finished you could seal it with clear ano. or zoops.

fwiw; polished alum holds more heat than a raw casting. But looks so much nicer..
Thanks, workin on it, gonna take some time for sure, Lots of little tight nooks and crannys to get all by hand. But I got the time to work on it.

Not installing it for awhile so might at well do it up Nice.

Zoops Zoop Seal? Have you used it ever? Out of Stock on their website and not much info on it.

Clear Anodizied ? Maybe, will have to check into it more.

Have you ever had it done?

I am wondering how it could be done, will it effect the Machined insides of a Blower? Or do you have to have it remachined afterwards?

I would think since it's dipped in acid, then boiled in water, the Blower would have to be all disasembled piece by piece to do it?

Not sure yet how I will treat it once fully Polished, I know Paint holds more heat. But Many have theirs painted. My lower intake manifold for the Blower is water cooled with it's own radiator and circulating pump.

I have heard that before years ago about castings and heat VS polishing, but have never found any science to back it up, have you a Link on that?

Just curious, I will Polish it either way, I have seen so many cars with highly polished motors, and blowers, it can't be that much of a problem.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM

I do a lot of polishing and those are two options that you really don't want to use

first off Zoops works great on wheels and stuff like that, but on the blower it's not going to stand up to the heat

Secondly, if you go with a clear anodize of powdercoating, you are going to have to disassemble everything for them to coat the parts. Also, if you go with one of those two routes the coating is going to dull you original finish

Have you ever done your own polishing before? If you haven't, feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll try to help you out

I've done everything from wheels to water pumps, half-shafts, billet caps and many other things also. If you want to see some of my work go to flicker.com and search for northeast rod run, then open the polished parts folder. I would link it here for you, but I'm in work so I can't do that right now
Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Painted my rear drums today........
Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Rod Run
I do a lot of polishing and those are two options that you really don't want to use

first off Zoops works great on wheels and stuff like that, but on the blower it's not going to stand up to the heat

Secondly, if you go with a clear anodize of powdercoating, you are going to have to disassemble everything for them to coat the parts. Also, if you go with one of those two routes the coating is going to dull you original finish

Have you ever done your own polishing before? If you haven't, feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll try to help you out

I've done everything from wheels to water pumps, half-shafts, billet caps and many other things also. If you want to see some of my work go to flicker.com and search for northeast rod run, then open the polished parts folder. I would link it here for you, but I'm in work so I can't do that right now
PM sent, I could always use some extra tips and tricks on polishing.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Deceased

Met my wife and Mom for lunch today, Ma is now cleared to drive after her surgery and she's now in possession of her Corvette again so all is good. Ordered up a birthday cake for Paddington the '07, the other half doesn't know about it yet, but I can't wait to see her reaction.

Should have gotten a pic of the lady at the bakery, the look on her face was priceless as I explained the cake was for a truck celebrating its fourth birthday on Sunday. Just another person added to the "well he's nuts" list.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?