General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM

Took the dawgs for a ride when I went to cycle gear for a face mask (today's the last day of the sale) then microcenter to get a new monitor.

Every time I got in the car, I had to convince my c0cker spaniel that she couldn't drive! She'd reluctantly get out of the driver's seat then set the seat belt sensor off in the passenger seat. She needs to go on a diet.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Deceased

Left the modern "old fashioned" Chevy's parked today while I worked from the home office and tinkered with my '37 Carryall(a real old fashioned Chevy). A leaking RF wheel cylinder and general unhappiness with the performance of the old brake shoes led to a brake job on the old beast.

Here are a couple of pics so those of you who do their own brakes and brake adjustments can see how little has changed in the 74 years since my old Chevy rolled off the line. Sorry no sexy cross drilled and slotted rotors here kids, just old iron. I do like the section of the service manual that tells you to take the vehicle out to a dirt road and "apply maximum braking" so you can make sure all four wheels are locking up at the same time....if not snug up or back off the adjustment and go for another skid in the dirt.

Something tells me that mechanics had more fun back then..."hey Joe, take that Chev out and slide her around in the back alley for a while....OK boss."
Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Things haven't changed much 843..

You know I really like the '37 Carryall..

I still hit the gravel & try to lock em up.. LOL

Also, did you pull back the rubber boots on the RR wheel cylinder ?, body of it looks like it may be possibly weeping.

edit: I wouldn't just do one wheel cylinder anyhow.. I'm sure you would not either..
Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Rest In Peace

My Panels been sitting parked on Empty for the last week or two? I forget how long now.

Finally got off my butt and took it to Shell and filled the tank with 93 octane, my usual.

Broke down and finally bought a new PC with Windows 7 64 bit on it, 8 gigs of ddr3 memory and a 1 tb hard drive, plenty of hookups on the back with plenty of expansion room inside.
Been busy researching the new PC purchase before buying then this week been setting it up and getting used to the new os over using xp.
Running dual 24" lcd wide screens on it.

I have a Maxtor 800 gig OneTouch4 external hard drive as a backup drive, from my older xp pc that died on me a few months ago. (my two pc's died within a few months of each other I had set up at my desk, I was using my laptop hooked up to one of my monitors to get by until I decided what to replace them with.)

Left it on all week seems to be running fine so the software installs begin next.

I'll be upgrading the video card and adding a few other things to it after the holidays are over and done with.

Panel will be sitting parked for awhile, while I continue playing with the new computer and getting it all set up. I had the 2 xp pc's running 5 lcd monitors on my desk, I misss that setup. I may start building one from scratch so I can run the other 3 19" monitors that are setup on a Mo-View monitor stand.
I like running work stuff on one pc while surfing the web on another one.

Almost time to put the dare I say it, Winter OEM's back on, I shudder at the thought, Hate winter and Dislike the oem wheels.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Deceased

Yep sleeper did all the wheel cylinders, its a doddle to do and with a single circuit system like the '37 has, any leaks can be a big deal....you only have to have that pedal hit the floorboards once to make up your mind that its not a good thing, not good at all.

Most mechanical issues with the Carryall are due to a combination of advanced age and not much use per year anymore. The old critter will be 75 years old on November 22nd, and in that 3/4 of a century its only managed to ring up 41,000 miles. Yes kids, that's a genuine 41,000 miles, its been in my family since new.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

Thought I would be installing the wheels and tires. NOT the H&R spacers arrived with the spot in the box for studs empty. The company I ordered them from is acting like they never told me they are included, don't know why I wasted my time calling them twice on the phone , cause the first customer service guy didn't have a command of the English language. I really should have gone elsewhere.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Deceased

That purely sucks Sam, sorry to hear you're getting another runaround, kind of like your deal with the Pedders springs earlier this year.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Sort of, that was a..... Oh didn't I tell you, or I didn't ask. This time I did ask, twice as a matter of fact. I will call them this morning and see if we can find a resolution that involves overnight delivery. I wonder which ones I need 24mm or 48mm ?? I was hoping I could just order the kit and they would send me what I need. That probably makes too much sense.

BTW The quality of the German manufactured spacer is premium, thats the good news
Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Deceased

High quality spacer - good.

Poor quality customer service - bad.

Making something simple into a royal PITA - unacceptable.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

getting the project completed.......Priceless

Ps that is quite a nice inheritance who will you hand it down to ?

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?