General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What the differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

Or a unbelievable previous owner like mine.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Keep in mind that the combinations and availability of things changed from year to year.For example,the 2.4 engine was available in the 1LT and the 2LT in 2006 & 2007 but for 2008 it was only in the 2LT.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 AM

thats what I love about this car... there are so many different combinations and ways that you can mold this car into what you want....
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ZTony8
Keep in mind that the combinations and availability of things changed from year to year.For example,the 2.4 engine was available in the 1LT and the 2LT in 2006 & 2007 but for 2008 it was only in the 2LT.
Another excellent point.

Originally Posted by sleeper
Thanks, but no, I'll stick to what I originally stated....depending how it was ordered..

Many that have done their homework prior to purchase already know if it was a rental, lease, or from private owner as mine was..
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I'm just saying that I did do my homework and found out the first 2011 that I bought was a rental vehicle beforehand, and "depending how it was ordered" is too vague to have helped me. I thought you were saying, "if it was ordered with all the bells & whistles," because I already know that 2LTs do not come standard with all the bells & whistles. When I read it, I didn't think you were talking about rental vs. lease vs. private owner at all, hence my post warning people about the fact that rental vehicles can have a lot of standard features deleted from their builds.

I've seen 1LTs that had all the bells & whistles whereas the 2011 2LT I first bought was missing many standard options and only had the 2.4L engine, running boards, and roof rack--all options that you can get on a 1LT (although the 2.4L engine on a 1LT is rare, it was a $650 option some years).

Again, I would have to stress that the trim levels are an okay rough reference as you first start looking, but the trim alone won't even guarantee the bare minimum features you'll be getting. Always get the VIN and either take it to your local dealer or PM ChevroletCustomerService here on the forum to request the original build sheet, which will tell you without a doubt what features originally came on the vehicle.

You can find out whether the car was a fleet vehicle by searching for "VIN decoder" and entering the VIN. For cars that you know were never fleet vehicles, you can use MotorTrend's guide to HHR packages and options to see the minimum features included on your trim (note that 2LT is actually a discounted option bundle that can be added to the LT trim level). Note this one is for 2011, so you'll have to also change it to the correct model year to know what options were really available for your year, as ZTony8 pointed out.

Last, when you're at the dealership inspecting the car, make sure you go down the build sheet checking off each item, because some may have been removed after the fact. If the windshield was replaced, for example, the auto-darkening/OnStar mirror may have been replaced with a standard mirror.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:56 AM

yeah ! HHR !
Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 AM

There were small changed per year the best way to find out what is too look for review stories or dealer brochues that list them all. The order site used to list them all but they no longer list an HHR for any year.

When you come down to it there really were not a lot of combinations people purchased. GM tended to keep things close and the radio or colors were the most often changed things.

Might note that most rentals and fleet sales were of the LT1 spec. Many of these did not have the Onstar removed as there was a delete option for this. No sense for Enterprise to pay for something they never would use. The rentals many times will also just have the plastic caps on 16" wheels.

Most of Chevys lines are LS1 or LS2 for the more base models. Then LT1 and LT2 for the mid grade but in the case of the HHR it is the top as there is no LTZ trim package like most other lines. Then the SS. The LT2 is pretty much the LTZ of the HHR line as it is the most upscale one with out the performance package.

The general LT2 will have a chrome package, better radio and leather. This is how they will stick out. Many will have the 2.4 and FE3.