General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What does "Tuned" mean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:39 PM

As for the sluggish take off, have the injectors cleaned as required by the warranty at 15,000 mile. I did and my HHR is running great and getting better gas mileage than ever.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:26 AM

the cleaning of the injectors are covered under warranty?!?!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Great explanation of a "tune," Smoke Wagon. some guys will throw a tune on their car at the end of a larger modification program, after upgrading with aftermarket intake and exhaust a tune will really take advantage of the freer breathing aspects of the engine. only makes sense, since the original programming was set up for the stock components.

the ultimate tuning of an ecotec can even exceed 400HP. the motor can take it, according to Hahn Racecraft and others who are modifying the heck out of these cars. of course, that requires turbo or supercharging, but the ecotec is a nice "canvas" for which these performance "artists" are creating their works of art.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:34 AM

The Ecotec powerplant had tuning in mind when designed. I remember hearing about it a couple years ago...and you're right...400hp capabilities...290+ N/A.

a tune is often required when some aftermarket modifications are implemented. Many other cars will REQUIRE a tune when such things as gears, injectors, exhaust, torque converter, and other such swaps are done.

as for emission testing, many tunes are programmed on to a hand-held device that basically stores, and uploads the tune in to the PCM of a car/truck. The stock tune is also stored, so before emissions testing is done, the stock tune can be re-uploaded on to the PCM by the car owner.

SCT X-CAL II is one such device.

But...the hardest part of a tune...is finding a "tune-er" who knows the car's parameters, and can adjust everything properly. Most tuners out there sell a basic "blanket" tune...something that has just a few modifications so you can notice a change, but arent really experiencing the full potential.

For me, it seems, in a stock HHR, a tune wont improve much as far as "power" goes...you typically cant find much HP in a stock application. You can change some WOT parameters, or change shift points/firmness...but as far as seeing results on a dragstrip time slip, only slight improvements can be had...if you want to pay over $400 for 1-2/10ths of a second time slip improvement, which is rare...usually 1/10th is about all, be my guest.

if you want MORE power, you'll have to invest in aftermarket paower adders, AND a tune.

I have found through ownership of other cars that some of the best improvements you can make, are MAINTENANCE. Clean fuel system, clean filters, fresh fluids, and proper tire pressure....just make the drivetrain "new" again, and it'll perform better and reward you with better fuel milege.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:02 PM

With all due respect to Smoke Wagon, his description of "tuned" is way off.

Tunning has to do with the vibration frequency of the spark plug wires when they are plucked. If they are at the right tension, when you pluck them, you should hear a perfect "A" note. Then you know the car is in tune.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
As for the sluggish take off, have the injectors cleaned as required by the warranty at 15,000 mile. I did and my HHR is running great and getting better gas mileage than ever.
Hey SandyBeach....

I checked all through the Owners Manual and couldn't find anything related to, "....have the injectors cleaned as REQUIRED BY THE WARRANTY AT 15,000 miles". Where did you hear/see that? In fact, I couldn't find anything related to the 15,000 mile number. I did find however, a statement that the injectors need not be cleaned unless suggested by the dealer for other existing problems.