General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What is the stupidest design error?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM

My biggest issue with my HHR is that the dead pedal is too close to the driver, not allowing me to stretch my left leg out completely. This results in cramps during a long drive. The other flaws I can live with.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks for bringing this to my attention now I feel mine are too long also but they don't seem to come off as easy as the old days.

[QUOTE=HHR~SS~Panel;576566]My only complaints.. so far... has been echo'ed many times in the 14 pages
of the thread here. Door lock knobs being too tall ,
Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM

" but they don't seem to come off as easy as the old days."

Piece of leather and some pliers.... it's a very coarse thread. A few twists and they are off. Lots of guys cut them down.... there's several threads in the forum about this.

I left them stock height and put Mooneyes skull knobs on them...... They are not in my way.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 PM

To me the parking hand lever on the console of my 2011 is nothing but a "PAIN in the WAY"

The 2 Cup Holders on console are difficult to use with the parking handle in the way.

I would rather have the parking brake as a "Left Foot ratcheting step on" like my Venture Van.

Last edited by Silverfox; 07-13-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 AM

Funny thing is, most of the things people are complaining about, though they may be annoying/stupid/whatever, are things that we are pretty much used to by now and don't really think about since we've had the vehicle for 5+ years.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 AM

Silverfox
The square compartment in front of the shift also works as a cup holder for most cups. It's a little tight when your in park, but after your moving it's a better cup holder location.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ
Silverfox
The square compartment in front of the shift also works as a cup holder for most cups. It's a little tight when your in park, but after your moving it's a better cup holder location.
Yeah thanks for that .. I already use that one for me, and yes the Park/auto door lock thing is another Pain.
The wife uses the front one of 2 cup holders at the parking handle area but the tapered Paper Coffee cups stick out into the path of the handle.
We had to go to a 20oz. cup just to get it high enough so you could get it in and out without tipping it over or the lid comming loose when you pick it up full of hot coffee.

If they would have used the floor type park brake system, and allowed us to deprogram the auto door locks, it would all work fine.
Thats what my 2005 Chey Venture Van had but I think the Fed Laws have changed on the auto/door locks and they are now mandetory.

The other thing thats irritating to me is the position of the rear wiper functions.
I have accidentaly turned them on and also the washer about 6 times in 2500 miles. All to do with the Coffee holder and the park/lock position with a hot cup in the holder.
I am in the process of pulling out the fuse to stop that nonsense as I don't need it anyway.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
My biggest issue with my HHR is that the dead pedal is too close to the driver, not allowing me to stretch my left leg out completely. This results in cramps during a long drive. The other flaws I can live with.
Reach behind the carpet and remove the formed padding that supports the dead pedal. You'll gain 3-4". First thing I did.

Without a doubt, the worst design feature is the left arm rest and seat position for tall drivers. With the left hand on the steering wheel, I can't rest my arm on arm rest. I have to run the seat all the way back and partly reclined which leaves my left arm hanging. Long trips I rest my arm on my knee. The seat doesn't lower enough and the steering wheel doesn't extend enough for tall drivers. The seat for the driver is a disaster that one gets "used to" but is reminded of everytime the car us driven.

Last edited by pstar; 07-14-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM

My wife doesn't have a problem with the drivers seat @ 5'-2". It's her car. I would never have bought an HHR for myself @ 6'-3".
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Dear Silverfox and other members of the forum,

I would like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to post your feedback about the Chevrolet HHR. I have documented your comments. This information is saved within the system and it is available for various departments within General Motors to access.

I hope that you all have a great day.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: What is the stupidest design error?