General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What is the stupidest design error?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Dear JazzDad,

I have read your post about the Chevrolet Cobalt being discontinued. The last model year of the Chevrolet Cobalt was 2010.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Oh, has anybody else noticed that there is absolutely no place to set an opened beverage on the exterior of the HHR? How do they expect us shade tree mechanics to get anything done?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM

The metal is so thin an opened beverage would dent the car..... It's a design feature
Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by roadblock69
I like the battery in the back as it allows for better weight distribution. If the battery dies, you probably don't have another battery in your inventory, and will need to jump start the car anyway. While it is running, trip the hatch.
I just found this thread and found it interesting and informative. I had the dreaded dead battery happen to me because the stupid shift interlock would not allow me to remove the key or even turn the ignition off. I couldn't get to the dealer till the next day so when I left in the morning for service the battery was dead. So of course the doors wouldn't unlock so I used the key and the alarm went off, sort of as the battery was really low. Once the door was opened I was able to pop the hood to access the 'jumper terminals' conveniently placed by Gm so you could jump the car. But wait, my jumper cables are in the back with the spare tire, but wait you can't open the back to get the cables. Call AAA, they show up and hook the jumper cables to those jumper terminals and I try to start the car, click click click goes the starter solenoid, not enough juice gets to the starter.... but wait, leave the jumpers on and I'll open the back so we can access the battery, but wait, take all the stuff out first.. but with the jumpers directly to the battery all went well and was able to start the car........ *sigh* GM

I do love my HHR

And then there is the design of the water divert-er under the front cowling that when broken allows water to get into the cabin via the cabin filter and also gets the blower switch and resistors wet that causes them to go bad, that causes you to have them replaced (luckily for me under warranty), not to mention the wet carpet....... *sigh* GM
Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Gas cap/fuel fill placement is basically tied into the location of the exhaust and tailpipe. Left side exhaust = right side fill location, at least on lots of vehicles, for safety....who knows, but it never bothered me.

All that being said, I'd love to go back the the days of the center fill like on my '67, never had to remember which side to pull up on and the hose always reaches.
In the old days the hose on the pumps were longer. When I had my 96 Impala SS with fill behind the license plate, I had to pull the car so close to the pump, almost scrape the yellow concrete polls, so the nozle would reach to the license plate. I don't miss that at all. Though I do miss the 5.7 LT1 it had, lol.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin09HHRhappy
In the old days the hose on the pumps were longer. When I had my 96 Impala SS with fill behind the license plate, I had to pull the car so close to the pump, almost scrape the yellow concrete polls, so the nozle would reach to the license plate. I don't miss that at all. Though I do miss the 5.7 LT1 it had, lol.
Costco has heard this complaint and they have hoses long enough to fuel from either side. I am kind of glad of the right side filler, as most cars are lefty it gives me an open run to the righty, no waiting.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Kevin,

With most cars there is an arrow next to the icon of the gas pump on the gauge.it points to the side where the door is located.

QR
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM

Speaking of the gas pump icon on the gas guage...when the tank is half full or a little less the needle on the guage covers up the arrow showing what side the door is on. I think that's a pretty stupid design error! That's when I usually get more gas.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 PM

gas guage goof

But then you don't know where it goes! (just kidding)
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Dumbest?It's gotta be the poor material quality of the window sealing strips.This isn't a concern for you warm weather owners but,here where it gets cold and snowy,moisture gets past the seals and then freezes which renders the windows immoveable because the window motors are too weak to break the window loose without the risk of twisting and binding the flimsy window regulator mecanisms(just ask a Grand Am owner about cheap regulators).

Quick Reply: What is the stupidest design error?