General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What is the stupidest design error?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 AM

Having the vehicle assembled in Mexico and made with foreign parts.
Come on for crying out loud - if you are going to call yourself a domestic car manufacturer you need to make your vehicles in the USA.
If not - start making the Corvette in Bulgaria or China.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 AM

I drove HHRvey directly off the showroom floor in '06. It was in the winter, so I didnt have an occassion to roll down the windows due to the cold weather,as I rarely use the drive-through at eateries. However, a few months after buying HHRvey, by the time I did decide to get a drive-through cup of coffee, I had forgotten about the placement of the window switches. I was soooooo embarrassed that I couldnt figure out how to roll down the windows, and had to open my door to pay. I also didnt know about the wind buffering the first time I was able to open the sunroof. The noise sounded like I was driving with a flat tire, and it popped my ears. Thankfully, I was near the dealer, and they explained everything. I bought a windbuffer shield and that took care of the problem as long as I remembered to crack the back windows an inch. All in all, I got used to the window switches and learned to appreciate this unique little feature. I owned HHRvey for 4 1/2 years, and enjoyed the ride every day I had him. I traded him for an Enox, and love this ride, but I will always have a special place in my heart for the HHR, and I still smile every time I see one.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM

"Front seats Height. With the lowest position I Touch the roof (I´m 6´2") "

I'm 6'6" and I don't hit the roof with the seat full back and down.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 AM

My biggest complaint is the height of the seating. I am also 6'2" and my head hits the roof (i have the sun roof). Some people have more height in the trunk than the legs...I must be one of them. A close second the little rattles in the interior that make it seem cheap.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM

I'm amazed that only 1 person mentioned the dope, I mean dome light access.
I flicked the dashboard roller switch and it lit the rear aiming light.
I needed 5' arms to reach the front facing lights.

I used the instructions in the thread describing how to flip the dome light assembly 180°
The wiring above the headliner is short but do-able.
Now the dashboard activated dome light aims forward as it should have from the factory.

Donut works up front unless you have Brembos?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Fortin
"Front seats Height. With the lowest position I Touch the roof (I´m 6´2") "

I'm 6'6" and I don't hit the roof with the seat full back and down.
I'm 6'3", the first HHR I tried was a "NO SALE" due to manual seat. The power seat was adjustable to my height.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 AM

It's not the only car without a key/latch on the rear hatch.
my last one didn't either.

I understand the seat height issue, my son is tall. His head is right at the ceiling and has to bend down to look out. He sat in it for one second, and said he would not want this car. So the question is... why would anyone too tall for it buy it?

At 5'7" I have no issues with it, fits me fine.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:08 PM

To me the one really stupid thing they did was to forget to advertise the HHR. It amazes me that I have never seen a single ad, commercial, or anything. I am not surprised at all that sales numbers were never "what they wanted them to be" considering that most folks either have no idea that the HHR exists or they confuse it with the PT Cruiser. In a way it seems like GM intended for it to fail from the get-go. All the issues with design could've been addressed had they actually planned to build HHRs for more than 5 years.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Every donut spare that I have ever seen, said that it has to go on the rear axle.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM

re

^^^?? i see tons of all makes and models running around with donuts on the front - they may say that but at least they will - with brembos on a SS it just wont fit

Quick Reply: What is the stupidest design error?