General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Whatcha haulin pt II

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:43 PM

Whatcha haulin pt II

Some of you have seen teh IMBA sticker on my HHR and know what it is. For those who don't, it stands for the International Mountain Bike Association. A big part of why I got my HHR was the ability to haul bikes inside the car.

This is pretty ghetto right now. What I think that I will do during the long cold dark winter months up here in ND is build a wooden copy of the storage shelf with slots cut out for the rear tires on the bikes. I will also work up some sort of fork mount to lock the front forks of the bikes down. Right now I am securing them by tying the frames to the loops in the C pillars that the seats hook into normally. Comments/ideas welcome as to how to haul the bikes.

What kind of odd/ bulky stuff are the rest of you putting in the back of your HHRS?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:54 PM

That looks like a pretty good setup.
I only haul one bike, so I just lay it flat.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
That looks like a pretty good setup.
I only haul one bike, so I just lay it flat.
That's what I do if I am riding solo. This was for a ride with a buddy (they are both my bikes, but I put the flats on the green one for him). I don't like stacking the bikes on top of each other.

I am giving up on roof racks as I have destroyed two road bikes by pulling into the garage with the bikes on top of the vehicle. Both times driving my wife's van
Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 PM

I've been mountain biking for almost five years and have always used platform pedals. A friend in high school raced bmx and there was a pile up in the first turn. He ended up on his side, still clipped in, and another rider landed on him and broke his leg. I guess I'm one of those guys that is too afraid to use them.

I wouldn't stack bikes either, unless they were from Walmart.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
I've been mountain biking for almost five years and have always used platform pedals. A friend in high school raced bmx and there was a pile up in the first turn. He ended up on his side, still clipped in, and another rider landed on him and broke his leg. I guess I'm one of those guys that is too afraid to use them.

I wouldn't stack bikes either, unless they were from Walmart.
Don't be afraid of clipless pedals! I find that I have so much better control over the bike rolling over choppy bits of terrain like braking bumps and rooty sections of trail. My feet stay attached to the pedals. With flats, they would tend to drift off and I would have to slow down. After a while, it becomes second nature to twist your foot to unclip. I have even unclipped going over the bars and been able to land on my feet
Old 10-01-2007, 04:44 PM

I've had pretty good luck with these:

Name:  A-frame-pedals.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  16.8 KB

Time to get back on topic though, I suppose.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:50 PM

I Just want to put in my on what I haul in Wheelie, I am a handicap and own a rolling walker, Whenever I go somewhere, I put in my Walker through the back of Wheelie, the bad part about this I found out is that I always bumped the wheels of my walker on Wheelie's bumper, thus , I created scratches on it, I tried to use touch up paint on the scratches, but they did not seem to cover them up, so I told Wheelie I would cover the scratches up with a bumper sticker, which I already done, like magic, Wheelie's scratches are GONE! HAAHAA

Ok, That's all...
Old 10-02-2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wheelie7
I Just want to put in my on what I haul in Wheelie, I am a handicap and own a rolling walker, Whenever I go somewhere, I put in my Walker through the back of Wheelie, the bad part about this I found out is that I always bumped the wheels of my walker on Wheelie's bumper, thus , I created scratches on it, I tried to use touch up paint on the scratches, but they did not seem to cover them up, so I told Wheelie I would cover the scratches up with a bumper sticker, which I already done, like magic, Wheelie's scratches are GONE! HAAHAA

Ok, That's all...
I can empathize with you on the scratches from loading the walker into the back of wheelie. I know that it is inevitable that I will drag a chainring across the back bumper of the Atomic Pumpkin some day. I will be upset when it happens, but in time I will remember that like my bikes, my car is just a tool.

Sometimes while I'm cleaning my bikes, I will come across a scratch in the paint or torn sticker and it will bring back a memory of a ride I did or a trip I made. Then I don't feel so bad about the scar as it helps me remember how much pleasure I get from riding the bike.

I have read your posts, and I know that you get great pleasure from owning Wheelie. He gives you freedom that you wouldn't otherwise have. That is the best thing that a car can do. If it helps, just think of those scratches as a reminder of all the great trips you and wheelie have had together.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 AM

I bought a couple of the Saris fork mount blocks and mounted them to a piece of 2x6 and then bungy the bike around the steerer tube and stem to the posts on the headrest. The only thing different I have to do the the road and TT bike is that I have to remove the little storage cubby piece between the seats and spare tire well and replace the spare tire cover because my cranks hit it.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by endeavorc
I bought a couple of the Saris fork mount blocks and mounted them to a piece of 2x6 and then bungy the bike around the steerer tube and stem to the posts on the headrest. The only thing different I have to do the the road and TT bike is that I have to remove the little storage cubby piece between the seats and spare tire well and replace the spare tire cover because my cranks hit it.

I hadn't considered that. I have two roadies as well, but haven't had the need to put either of them in the HHR. How many teeth does the big ring on your TT bike have? I may be OK as I am running the standard 52 tooth set up on both bikes.

BTW, the reason I take the shelf out of the back is so I don't have to lower the saddles. Do you have to lower yours to get the bikes in?

Quick Reply: Whatcha haulin pt II