General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Whatcha haulin pt II

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM

The shelf above the spare tire cover is removed as well, I do not have to lower my saddle. I run a 53 ring on both the road and TT bikes. I did forget to mention the bungies attached to the saddle rails going to the lower rear tie-downs to hold the back of of the bike in place.

On my last out of town race I was able to get my TT bike, my wife's road bike, all of our gear including bags, pump, race wheels & bag, folding chairs, bike stand, cooler, etc in the back.

HTH,
E
Old 10-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Nice packing job. My first real MTB trip with the HHR will have to wait until next spring. It's too late in the season for camping in anything that doesn't have solid walls and heat up here in ND.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:12 PM

I have a rack that goes on the rear. That way I don't have to worry about trying to put it in the back
I will take some pics next time I get to ride.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Here's another option. The rack can be found HERE. Great quality and people to deal with. It can be had in different sizes and after getting rid of my other van, narrowed it to fit the HHR.

I tried a number of configurations, including some like pictured above. I found this to be the easiest with not having to remove any shelves, etc. I just take out the seat & post. They're marked with a piece of pinstripe tape to get the height right.

The flexibility allows me to carry one bike, both my daughter's and my road or mountain bikes and sometimes one of each for me. The fork mounts are easily adjustable.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
The flexibility allows me to carry one bike, both my daughter's and my road or mountain bikes and sometimes one of each for me. The fork mounts are easily adjustable.

That looks pretty cool. I sent an email to the manufacturer. How much did you pay for yours?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
I can empathize with you on the scratches from loading the walker into the back of wheelie. I know that it is inevitable that I will drag a chainring across the back bumper of the Atomic Pumpkin some day. I will be upset when it happens, but in time I will remember that like my bikes, my car is just a tool.

Sometimes while I'm cleaning my bikes, I will come across a scratch in the paint or torn sticker and it will bring back a memory of a ride I did or a trip I made. Then I don't feel so bad about the scar as it helps me remember how much pleasure I get from riding the bike.

I have read your posts, and I know that you get great pleasure from owning Wheelie. He gives you freedom that you wouldn't otherwise have. That is the best thing that a car can do. If it helps, just think of those scratches as a reminder of all the great trips you and wheelie have had together.

Thank you, this made me feel better about Wheelie's "battle scars", Wheelie says he does not mind them at all, and he wears them lovingly. by the way, this is me in with my customized Chevrolet cap!! , WHeelie says he loves the color..HAAHAA!!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 AM

Free TV when I bought the HHR
Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
That looks pretty cool. I sent an email to the manufacturer. How much did you pay for yours?
Spokes, you may want to call them for more detail. The business is a guy and his wife and they were real nice and helpful. Cost? Shoot, got it so many years ago.

I remember that you could get a couple of different widths and 2 or 3 cross bars. They are an aluminum extrusion and I had to cut mine narrower for the HHR. The top channel in the bar "captures" 1/4" square nuts that can slide. The fork mounts are also slotted, so they can be angled, too. On my last van I could haul 4 bikes easily. I just found that this one had more options and flexibility than any other I could find at the time.

Good luck!