General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What's your favorite feature that you didn't expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by kornellred
Let's see - the thread was titled "what's your favorite feature that you didn't expect" -

For me, it's an intangible feeling - the HHR's utility, uniqueness, economy and running characteristics blend together even better than it's designers intended it to. You just can't feel this good about a machine on purpose.
Amen brother!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:52 AM

The best surprise about the car is the whole experience itself. When I bought my HHR back in January of '06, they were kind of scarce. People would roll down their windows and ask what was I driving, the car would also bring smiles to folk's faces.

My favorite story is from early '06. I was in a grocery store when a page came on the loud speaker for " the owner of the new old-looking silver car to come to the front office." Of course my immediate thought was "Oh no, someone ran into HHRvey." Well, an elderly woman spotted my car as she left the store, and was so excited about it that she came back in the store to find the owner. When I came out, she was literally excited like a kid in a candy store and asked me if she could sit in it because it reminded her of a car from her youth. I offered to take her for a ride, but she said just sitting in it was good enough. Every now and then I see her and she always asks me about HHRvey.

I did have a surprise this week about a feature I did not know HHRvey had, and that is the discovery my sunvisors could slide out farther!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by HHRvey
The best surprise about the car is the whole experience itself. When I bought my HHR back in January of '06, they were kind of scarce. People would roll down their windows and ask what was I driving, the car would also bring smiles to folk's faces.

My favorite story is from early '06. I was in a grocery store when a page came on the loud speaker for " the owner of the new old-looking silver car to come to the front office." Of course my immediate thought was "Oh no, someone ran into HHRvey." Well, an elderly woman spotted my car as she left the store, and was so excited about it that she came back in the store to find the owner. When I came out, she was literally excited like a kid in a candy store and asked me if she could sit in it because it reminded her of a car from her youth. I offered to take her for a ride, but she said just sitting in it was good enough. Every now and then I see her and she always asks me about HHRvey.

I did have a surprise this week about a feature I did not know HHRvey had, and that is the discovery my sunvisors could slide out farther!
Hey thanks for telling me! I had no idea my visors did this either. I just love this site, and learning all the different things about my car!
Old 06-15-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
For both my wife and I, we really like that instantaneous MPG calculator in the DIC. If all cars had that I bet we'd save 10-20 percent in gas bills. In fact, I leave it on all the time and entertain
myself while commuting by seeing just how high I can get it.
for all you 2006 & 2007 hhr owers that have been and chkg their dic and going throught their owners manual looking for the INSTANTANT MPG read out... there AIN'T NONE according to MrGM... only became available in 2008

i had joan jumping through hoops trying to find it on our 2006. our 90 jag had it... our town and country hadd it... the computer i installed in our 74 conversion van (those were fun days) had... so in 2006 CHEVY save a few 1/10s of a cent and didnt include it until this year.

no the question is... can you have your DIC flashed to update it with IMPG?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by REDFLYR
no the question is... can you have your DIC flashed to update it with IMPG?
The short answer is no.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 AM

My biggest surprise is that I love this truck. I figured going from an F-150 to something this small I would have a lot of issues. I bought it mainly for the gas mileage and price and was willing to put up with the small size and lack of room and power. Boy was I wrong. Power and handling are great. And I have much, much more room inside this little guy than the truck. Sure, I can't haul a load of mulch in it, but I can can pack the inside with a few dozen 2x4's if I wanted (which I won't but still it is nice to have the option).

After driving it for three weeks now, I find that I have no complaints at all. Sure the windshield is kind of small and the headrests block the rear window, but hey they are a couple of things that make the truck unique and give it that retro look. The window buttons took about a week to get used to but now they're a non-issue. Plus there all those nice AM parts out there so I can make mine just how I want it.

It's a great little truck. Who wouldn't love it?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Favorite feature I didn't expect? I guess its the 29.3 (as of today) the DIC is indicating as avg MPG, for my work commute non-highway driving.

My other favorite is that everything about maintaining and operating this Chevrolet HHR is low cost compared to the car I had before it.

Low cost of ownership (let's not factor in depreciation, though), high style, uniqueness, utility. I guess I like it all.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:33 PM

I love the power the 2.2L automatic has. I often leave other cars at the stop light without pressing the gas too hard. I also love the extra glove compartment on the dash. Without that, I don't know where I'd put all my stuff. Finally, I too love the utility of this vehicle. We have travel very comfortably with three adults, I hauled a new washer home in it, and last week I bought a leather chair and foot rest. I love the looks I get from the salesmen when large items actually fit in the HHR.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 PM

just a change..something different

comfortable seating position, easy to get in or out, great milleage (ls), lot of space for cargo..did I say original look...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Heated front seats for sure, it didn't even cross my mind to wonder if it was an option.

Quick Reply: What's your favorite feature that you didn't expect?