General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Where do I find Tire Pressure Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 AM
pjb

Where do I find Tire Pressure Sensors?

I've found snow tires and wheels for my HHR. I'd like to add the Tire Pressure Sensor Monitors but I'm hesitant to pay dealer prices. Can I have the tires mounted and balanced on the wheels and add the sensors later? Can I get cheaper sensors? And can any good tire place configure the sensors or does it have to be done by a dealer? Thanks in advance. Pam
Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 AM

if it was me and just for snow tires, i would say skip the TPMS. The system will yell at you all the time, but it would cut the costs. Then when you put the others back on, you're good to go.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Twistrman has a point, but to answer your question try E-Bay
Old 01-27-2010, 03:31 PM

IIRC, you can only have one set of TPMS programmed to your car at a time. You'd have to take your car to the dealership and pay them to re-program them every time you switched wheels. Seems like a lot of trouble to me...
Old 01-27-2010, 03:47 PM

I had my winter set mounted at Belle tire. They sold me the set of 4 TPMS for $30 and did the programing (which you should be able to do yourself).
If you pay them to mount and balance and purchase the sensors from them, I would bet that they would do the progaming when you swithed back and forth as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by txbass06
IIRC, you can only have one set of TPMS programmed to your car at a time. You'd have to take your car to the dealership and pay them to re-program them every time you switched wheels. Seems like a lot of trouble to me...
NO,NO,NO I am assuming we hava a 2008 or newer here you can do the reset procedure for the new sending units, no need for dealership, if you can reset the positions yourself when rotating the tires, then you can replace the sending units (stems) yourself.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 PM
pjb

I have a 2009 SS and I really like being able to look at the idiot reading telling me what my tire pressure is, but since I'm not really sure what the sensor actually is, it's doubtful that I'd be able to "reset the positions and replace the sending units myself". If I have TPMS in both the winter and non-winter tires, they have to be reprogrammed every time the tires are switched? In that case maybe it's easier to not have the TPMS in the winter tires?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Well I'm getting ready to have my tires mounted on some after market rims and I'm not going through the hassle of getting my old tps out of the factory wheels or getting new ones. I can deal with a light and check tire pressure the old fashion way.

I'm pretty sure if you use new sensors they have to be programed by the dealer. If you are reusing your old ones you just do the TPMS recalibration via the book.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM

http://lowest-bids.com/?q=hhr+tpms&button=GO!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
NO,NO,NO I am assuming we hava a 2008 or newer here you can do the reset procedure for the new sending units, no need for dealership, if you can reset the positions yourself when rotating the tires, then you can replace the sending units (stems) yourself.
Are you a 100% sure on this for 2008 and newer or is it like I posted previously?

Quick Reply: Where do I find Tire Pressure Sensors?