General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Where do I find Tire Pressure Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 AM

I purchased 4 TPMS sensors on ebay for about 35 bucks, my tire guy didn't charge to put them in my Solstice rims...and it takes all of 1 minute to reprogram your own sensors...at least on my 2008.

Details are in the owners manual.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
pjb

Just called the dealer & he said the sensors go for $75 a piece!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Are you a 100% sure on this for 2008 and newer or is it like I posted previously?
According to this, yes.https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/tire-pressure-monitoring-faqs-20882/.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by pjb
I have a 2009 SS and I really like being able to look at the idiot reading telling me what my tire pressure is, but since I'm not really sure what the sensor actually is, it's doubtful that I'd be able to "reset the positions and replace the sending units myself". If I have TPMS in both the winter and non-winter tires, they have to be reprogrammed every time the tires are switched? In that case maybe it's easier to not have the TPMS in the winter tires?
The procedure for resetting the position is really quite simple, it's in the owner's manual, and here several places https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20882
I did not really mean busting your own tires down, but theoretically a tire store is capable of the operation. I have assumed you meant to have your winter tires mounted on rims in your garage during the good/off season. If you mean having them remounted every year, then you just re-learn or make sure they go back to whence they came. To be clear the TPMS sending unit is attached to the valve stem inside the mounted tire, not to the tire or directly to the rim. Did that help, my wife says I confuse people.
If you live in a state that requires safety inspection, the TPMS light will be cause for rejection.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
pjb

I just found sensors under ChevroletTireSensors.com for $31.30 each, can I use these on my winter tires instead of the dealer ones at $75 each?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by pjb
I just found sensors under ChevroletTireSensors.com for $31.30 each, can I use these on my winter tires instead of the dealer ones at $75 each?
Yes.
I got mine from a discount tire retailer for $30/ea.
Thet are the "orange" sensors/ Must be an internal code they use.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
pjb

Can most any tire place put everything together; rims, tires, and sensors? Then do the wheels have to go to the dealer to be "trained" or can I teach them myself using the owner's manual? (I work with horses and find mechanical things confusing.)
Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by pjb
Can most any tire place put everything together; rims, tires, and sensors? Then do the wheels have to go to the dealer to be "trained" or can I teach them myself using the owner's manual? (I work with horses and find mechanical things confusing.)
Yes they can assemble everything, and you can reprogram them yourself, or you can negotiate them doing it. They have a thingamabob that does it quickly. But, if you buy everything somewhere else and ask them to do it.....
Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 PM

to do it yourself involves with a procedure of tapping your brakes etc to put it into learning mode, it blinks a blinker which tire it wants and you let the air out for like 8 seconds, and it honks at you, repeat. It is easy.

But them walking around the car with a computer for 10 seconds is easier.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:44 PM

I had a problem with this situation. My monitors were not being read by the main sensor. I took it to the dealer as a warranty repair. They charged me $50 to reset the sensors with their "wand". I complained that I should be able to reset the sensors on my own, in my driveway, and that is the feature that is not working. I got nowhere with them.

Quick Reply: Where do I find Tire Pressure Sensors?