General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Who's towing what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM

I don't think I would want to tow this trailer with my HHR. I feel I'm stretching things with my Jeep! And the trailer is only 5-6 longer than GrizzlyOldMan's bud's trailer. I even have a weight distribution hitch so the back end doesn't sag.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Even the Cherokee looks little in front of that trailer.

My brother has a 17' Travel trailer, I'll have to park in front of it and see how it looks.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 PM

I'm sure you can tow with the HHR. I'm just saying, IMO if you want to tow anything the HHR is a poor choice. There are lots of vehicles that can easily tow, again IMO the HHR is not one of them.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM

how much do hhr's weigh?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
A friend across town pulls a 17’ self contained Prowler camper with his HHR. The Prowler does have electric brakes.
That sounds great until there is an accident with an injury or death. Then the civil suits come for towing something heavier and larger than the documented limits.

This RV shop in Ontario (http://www.canamrv.ca/~canamrvc/towing/), CA is notorius for putting people in large trailers to be towed by mini-vans and other small vehicles. So can it done? Sure. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Frankly there is no way I would tow anything with the HHR. It performs very poorly with 4 average sized people in the car, so why would I want to put a trailer on the back?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
That sounds great until there is an accident with an injury or death. Then the civil suits come for towing something heavier and larger than the documented limits.

This RV shop in Ontario (http://www.canamrv.ca/~canamrvc/towing/), CA is notorius for putting people in large trailers to be towed by mini-vans and other small vehicles. So can it done? Sure. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Frankly there is no way I would tow anything with the HHR. It performs very poorly with 4 average sized people in the car, so why would I want to put a trailer on the back?
Amen to that. When I was a neofyte RV'er I was looking to buy a 5th wheel travel trailer. Went to the big 'RV show' at the LA County Fairgrounds and saw a Komfort 26' 5th wheel that we liked. So I asked the salesman if my '85 GMC S-15 with the 2.8 V6 would tow it? "Sure it will, no problem.." was his reply.
Well our first trip down the freeway with it was enough to tell us that of course it did move under its own power and tow the trailer, but should it? - of course not. We should have chosen either a smaller 'compact' 5th wheel or bought a bigger tow vehicle. We ended up selling the S-15 and getting a (older)full-sized Ford Crewcab with a 460.

As far as the HHR, I would think it would be acceptable towing one of those small teardrop camping trailers,but not much bigger.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 PM

I've pulled that same trailer with my mom's (now my brother's) Kia sorento. You can't even feel it back there when it's loaded. I can feel the loaded trailer in the HHR, especially when it's windy. I wouldn't want to pull anything bigger than that.

That's said I'm looking for better brakes. Just got this so I don't know what's on there. Noticed the other day that it had different tires on the back than in the front so needless to say I'll be taking advantage of NTB's buy 2 get 2 sale this month (getting rims too, buy 3 get 1).

I don't know how much I'll tow with it, but in the almost 3 weeks we've been together, I've had the trailer on there twice as much as I've used it in the last two years.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 PM

I’m planning to put a class one hitch on my HHR so I can haul things in my two wheel utility trailer. The same trailer I already tow around with the Neon. Its nice to load it up with crap and take it to the solid waste disposal place here in town.

No my utility trailer does not have electric brakes but I rarely haul heavy loads any real distance anymore.

Right after we got the trailer and hitch for the Neon I hauled a lot of solid wood furniture down to Cleveland Tennessee for my sister and brother in law.

After my wife’s folks died they had a big heavy dining room set with the sideboard and top hutch with mirrors and some other large heavy things that did hang over the end of the 8’ bed of my trailer a bit but the thing pulled like it wasn’t even there. I guess I got the load balanced right.

I never did pull into a truck stop to weigh the load but always wished I had. I’m pretty sure it was a tad over the ton the trailer is rated for.

I got an average of 28.7 MPG on that trip too.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 AM

The fellow across town who had been pulling his Prowler camper around with his HHR has traded it in on new Silverado 4 door pickup.

He upgraded to a much larger fifth wheel camper and there was no way to make the HHR do the job anymore.

He said he had just under 250,000 miles on the HHR in the 6 years he owned it and even though he was having no problems with it, it was time for something new.

If my math is right that’s about 41,666 miles a year or 114 miles a day figuring for a 7 day week. On my last job I was driving almost that far every working day, some days a bit farther, many weekend days I’d go that far too, it seems his buggy never sat long enough for moss to grow on it.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Mike Fortin
I'm looking for something small and just a couple hundred pounds to carry luggage, generator and some other oddities.

Not looking to pull anything with significant weight, just some extra room to get stuff out of the cabin area.
you need to look something like this.
http://www.pricep45.ru/catalog/index/1/
In America, surely there are some trailers.

If not - I will send to you.