General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Why is our trade in value so $#!TTY

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Great Value

I just ran my 06 2LT with auto trans and abs thru Edmunds and NADA rather than Kelly Blue and am rather impressed. Part of what you may be feeling is that the dealers are not going to give you retail for your car only wholesale. The difference there is 1500-2000 unfortunately. Used cars are where the dealers are making their money as they can buy cheap and sell higher. So what I paid for my car last year versus what the dealer is selling them for this year is what I go by.

They are an inexpensive car that is fun to drive and can carry a lot of different things, but like others have posted the lower end vehicles seem to depreciate alot faster in the first year.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:40 PM

I've seen a lot of HHRs on used car lots and they don't last long. Based on the number of people on this site who have purchased used ones, I think we're incorrect to assume they're not selling well. Probably the worst problem is that there are still brand new '06s available. These have to be drastically reduced so dealers can't offer more for a used '06 as a trade in. However, if Chevy would consider advertising the HHR a little more, they might sell out. Too bad all they're advertising is the latest models of their gas hogs!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Also don't forget to factor in that the HHR is a HUGE rental item....what I mean is that rental car companies flood the used car market with Impalas, HHR's, Focuses etc when they turn over their inventory

Goose
Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 PM

By the time you drive it off the lot it drops immediately. Cars are a long term investment which you never get out what you have in them unless it's a classic and you bought it new and have only had to do regular maintance(ie: no restoration). I just don't understand people who trade in cars and have negative equity and think they got a good deal on their replacement. they are paying for the old car they don't have anymore and the new car they just got. Then if they trade again real quickly it compounds even more.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
This subject just keeps going around here. Did you buy your HHR as a short term investment?

If so you have made a mistake.

If you bought it because you like it and it fits your needs while getting decent gas mileage, it is fun to drive and doesn't look like every other japanese econobox on the road you made a great decision.

Car's are terrible investments!
Unless you have a 60's or 70's muscle car 'restored', you are correct sir. Any motor vehicle is a terrible investment. I like the retro styling of the HHR plus it fits my needs, tools for work and cargo space.

Delivery by weeks end of an 07 Silver/Grey interior.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:49 PM

Dealers will only give you the value of what they can buy a car at auction for. With all the rentals being sold at auction thats pretty cheap.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:26 PM

NEVER use Kelly Blue Book for trade value if you can avoid it. When offering to trade your car in, tell them you'll trade retail-to-retail, that is, retail book value for your trade and MSRP for the new one. BUT, always insist on NADA retail for your car, NOT Kelly, Edmunds, or Black Book. They are dealers, and the book value you're demanding with NADA is National Auto Dealers Association, so it makes it harder for them to shoot it down. They will try, but stick to your guns and walk away if they balk. They'll be in touch with "new numbers" the next day or thereafter. If they aren't, they don't want your business bad enough-- go somewhere else.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:39 PM

I was initially offered 8300 for my 05 Matrix...KBB value. Actually that was a little more than KBB...I wanted 10k and they almost not quite laughed me out but close too it...ok bye bye....couple days later I get an email from the salesman asking if we had a deal...my turn to laugh........10k and we have a deal. He came back with 8700 absolute best..to make the story shorter he came back with 9K and 9300 as absolute final offers...when he said ok I got you your 10K we had a deal. Took only a couple of hours but I was able to save 1700 I would have had to pay out if I just said ok...which a lot will do just to get out of their current car. Crafty gave me some great tips to help me stick to my guns

If they want to sell a car bad enough they will find a way

Goose
Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

as long as i get 10k trade in in 2 years i am fine with it. and i paid 15.8 outta pocket no financing or loans
Old 07-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Goose and others are right on the rental fleet, Here in central FL. with all the major rental cars, the auctions have a lot of HHR going through the lines. There are HHR's {all x rentals} in alot of lots here in greater orlando.

Quick Reply: Why is our trade in value so $#!TTY