General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Why is our trade in value so $#!TTY

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I didn't finance at all. Trade-in plus a couple grand cash and out the door.
If you had of sold verses trade in, you probably could have saved that couple of grand.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
If you had of sold verses trade in, you probably could have saved that couple of grand.
I tried twice to sell my Vette, all I got was tire kickers, joy riders, and low ballers. It was a 1995 model and they allowed $14,000 on trade. That was NADA retail and way above what kbb, edmunds, and black book showed for it with the condition and miles. By trading I saved paying approx $900 in sales tax, because you only pay sales tax on the difference and on the rebates.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 PM

I've rarely ever heard of a car that the owner didn't think had crappy trade-in value, because dealers don't want to give you crap for them no matter what it is. They will literally steal it if they possibly can. That's how they make money. And if you've done a lot of mods and customizing you're REALLY going to take a bath if you trade it. Consider selling your HHR outright when the time comes.

IF you bought your HHR when they first came out you probably paid closer to MSRP for it. That's another thing that's going to work against it. Hate to tell ya pal, but I just bought a NEW 2007 (albeit not as well-equipped) for not much more than that KBB figure you quoted after rebates, incentives, dickering and GM cash was shaved off the sticker. I'm afraid that's what you're up against at dealerships.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
We currently lease but are going to buy it out at the end (we have to...too many miles already ) and plan on driving it into the ground.
Did I see your post correctly Black Rose?? did you just type...I plan to drive it INTO THE GROUND??? Are you planning to modify your HHR with a drilling tool to go INTO THE GROUND with your HHR?..LOL!!...let me know if you find some rare minerals ok? =)
Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Another situation, in Feb my mother (72 y/o) bought an 06 Cobalt LS. She at first financed via the dealership. She had a bad mark on her credit score, she already knew that was there. She went ahead and financed via the chevy dealership (that went through Chrysler she found out later ). After she got the car back home (bought in Augusta GA and she lives in Warner Robins GA), she took the paperwork to her CU and they gave her 3% less, same terms and she saved $50 a month.
Dealerships make money from helping their customers get financing. It's a service they provide, and they deserve to be compensated for it. Does anyone here work for free? A dealership is not a charity folks. If you can find your own financing, more power to you. There are some people that are willing to pay for the convenience and assistance, especially ones that don't have the greatest credit record.

My suggestion is to do your homework before going to a dealership. It's good to be thorough, just don't over do it. I've seen people spend an extra two weeks of headaches, driving, and days off work to find the best deal possible. They end up saving only $200. Was it really worth it? There are people that will pay for the convenience, and I guess there are some that won't.

As for fees, some banks have them, some don't. All banks are different.

Last edited by chingchonger; 07-27-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 PM

I went through the dealer via Sovereign Bank 6 % I think...Pentagon Fed CU was 5.89...other than a 65 loan fee I think the diff was only a few bucks a month. Being able to take the car home that day vs having to wait a day or so was worth it. Not to mention I can pay my loan right at Sovereign Bank 2 minutes from my house

Goose
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 PM

I know of a person that spent over 6 months looking for a "right" deal. He must have went to over 15 different dealerships and a lot of them several times. The local dealer offered $1,000 over what he paid for. By the time you add all the gas, eating, and time he prob. lost that grand and then some. What a waste of time. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for convenience b/c i understand a dealership is a business.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Steelcity
I know of a person that spent over 6 months looking for a "right" deal. He must have went to over 15 different dealerships and a lot of them several times. The local dealer offered $1,000 over what he paid for. By the time you add all the gas, eating, and time he prob. lost that grand and then some. What a waste of time. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for convenience b/c i understand a dealership is a business.
Not only that, his car is 6 months older. How much do you think it depreciated over the course of 6 months? At least $1000.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Good advice. IF you do a little research there's no need to spend endless hours at many dealerships. Before you ever set foot on a car lot you'll know right in the ballpark of what they should be able to do if they really want your business.

Speaking of resale the person who started this thread shouldn't feel too bad. Saw a 2006 PT Cruiser advertised in a dealer newspaper ad under $10K. That was the retail asking price! I hate to think what they gave the poor devil who traded it in.

Originally Posted by chingchonger
My suggestion is to do your homework before going to a dealership. It good to be thorough, just don't over do it.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 AM

I've seen ads from the dealer I go to for used '06 HHRs with a $12,995 asking price.

Quick Reply: Why is our trade in value so $#!TTY