General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Wife Wants to Keep Our HHR.....Forever

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Wife Wants to Keep Our HHR.....Forever

We have a 2006 HHR LT with 83,000 miles bought new. My wife really loves the HHR and wants to keep it going indefinitely. At 83K miles, we have maintained it by changing the oil every 5K miles, the air filter and cabin filter, thermostat, replaced the cam solenoids, front struts & shocks, shifter assembly (hard shifting) and assorted batteries and tires. What we have not done is ever have a brake job (no noise, stops fine) or ever change belts or hoses. What preventive repairs would be suggested to proactively have done in order to keep this vehicle running trouble free?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:36 PM

I'm sure the gurus will chime in, but if you take a look in the maintenance section of the manual, it outlines all of the manufacturers guidelines and timeframes to do them. I to plan on driving this until the wheels fall off. And even then, replace some parts and get her back on the road
Old 01-01-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by SuKi
I'm sure the gurus will chime in, but if you take a look in the maintenance section of the manual, it outlines all of the manufacturers guidelines and timeframes to do them. I to plan on driving this until the wheels fall off. And even then, replace some parts and get her back on the road
I do need to do that, SuKi, but figured some empirical input would be beneficial as well. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

I don't see any mention of antifreeze being changed. It should have been done at least twice since you got the car.

My opinion. It's a 12 year old car. That means 12 year old rubber hoses and belt. I'm a believer in changing automotive hoses and belts on a regular basis. For me it's about every 5 years on the cars I've had.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:39 PM

At least inspect the brakes! The fronts should be getting close to done, the rears need adjusting.
Have somebody that knows what they are doing look at the LCA bushings.
DexCool has a 5 year shelf life.

Check for recall status.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:17 PM

Swap over ALL fluids to synthetic. Buy replacement parts with the best qualty components money can afford. When needed, buy brake rotors/drums with high carbon content to prevent warpage. Keep the vehicle garaged over nights as well as during hot summer days. Replace o2 sensors with quality units every few years (whether they are operating within tolerable range or not. This is to obtain peak gas mileage). Stay off of bumpy roads. I mention this because 3 of the 4 roads surrounding my property are garbage and will rattle loose many components of the vehicle if the roads are traveled over on a daily basis. Let's face it, these are GM's budget cars, not thier higher dollar vehicles such as Escalade, Corvette, Denali, etc.... Same company, but those higher dollar vehicles are constructed with higher dollar components and materials. These are great vehicles and can be driven for miles and miles with proper maintenance and care.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Yes, Dexcool change every 5 years
The correct AC Delco thermostat 131-158 is a must!
Check things as you feel an difference in handling
Tie rods , steering rack, lca bushings , brakes ( I recommend an upgrade to SS non Brembo)
Rotors and caliper brackets , you will reuse the OEM calipers and pads.
And here’s the big tip! Don’t jump to conclusions when something goes wrong, DIC message, MIL or CEL light, log in here and we’ll get ya thru it!
Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Banned

push your relays back down
sway bar bushings
lca bushings
turn the rotors
front hubs
oil pressure switch they all leak ,
rear shocks
happy new year ,,,,,
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

"oil pressure switch" - good tip on that one - if it leaks it can destroy the starter that sits just below it fairly quickly by fouling it with oil.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

it also leaks when driving and blows the oil back on the oil pan and underside and u don't notioce it as a leak and u run dry or low on oil and walla seized motor i have so many cores from that it hurts ,,, changed those oil senders really no joke ,,,,,