General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 PM

I bought a DIY kit, and haven't got around to doing it yet.

the only problem I see, is you cut the film on the outside of the window, and the mirror assembly hangs over the edge of the window area, so you'd really have to be careful.

I've applied clear bra's so I am comfortable working with film.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stephenm
I bought a DIY kit, and haven't got around to doing it yet.

the only problem I see, is you cut the film on the outside of the window, and the mirror assembly hangs over the edge of the window area, so you'd really have to be careful.

I've applied clear bra's so I am comfortable working with film.
Another important point of tinting, is keeping the outside & inside glass SUPER Clean.. Dirt particles are the enemy..
You can get a perfect cut to fit, but when squeegeing (spelling ?) it out only to find a single spec of dirt can really change the mood of the day..
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM

here in Florida there are tint shops everywhere... got all mine tinted to %5 over the factory for about 100 bucks....supply and demand I guess huh?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 AM

Tinting is best left up to the pros. That is all.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM

Blat!!!! I wanted to do mine also, but 240 to do all the backs to 5%, and do the fronts to 20% seems like a far better deal then me using every swear word I know for the better part of a saturday. :-))
Old 09-22-2009, 09:59 PM

Tinted my own. This is the first time I have used a precut film. It worked out fine. I would however recommend that if you have never done it before, buy two sets. You will most likely mess up the first set in the learning process.

Heck even a couple of sets to mess up and your still cheaper than a pro job. The precuts are cheap on Ebay.

I also foound that it was a lot easier to get the tint right if I pulled the inner door panels off first. The pre cut film went a good ways down past the inner wipes.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 PM

Bought the tint, after geting started and detroying the 1st pc, I decided this would be the 1st mod done buy someone other than me. Still hav'nt got it done.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HHorange
Tinted my own. This is the first time I have used a precut film. It worked out fine. I would however recommend that if you have never done it before, buy two sets. You will most likely mess up the first set in the learning process.

Heck even a couple of sets to mess up and your still cheaper than a pro job. The precuts are cheap on Ebay.

I also foound that it was a lot easier to get the tint right if I pulled the inner door panels off first. The pre cut film went a good ways down past the inner wipes.

HHorange-

When you squirt the windows down with the soapy/water mix, it's very easy to slide the excess tint down past the inner wipes..It will adhere to the glass, but give em 2-3 days before you power down a window..

Any stubborn areas use a blow-dryer & work em out carefully..Always wetting the outside side of tint to prevent any scrape marks or etc while squeeging it.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 PM

I have tinted a number of cars and trucks.....and while it is true you can tint the windows with the inner door panels in place I just find it easier to pull the inner panels. especially since it takes all of about 15 minutes to pull both front door panels on an HHR.... Its just personnel preference.

It just might be easier for a beginner with the panels and dew wipers off......
Old 09-23-2009, 03:39 PM

WOW wolfman I got a deal since the glass company here only charged me 50.00 for both
front windows on my 09 I just bought. OK so I am happy. Have a good day

Quick Reply: window tinting