General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM

@Old Lar, I hope you have a safe trip and let us know how the HHR handled in the snow.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Hope all is well with your brother. Complications at times are worse than the original issue.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM

First off, best wishes for your brother. On the snow matter, my ABS and Traction Control have been getting a SERIOUS workout here in northern Utah this week! I have to say that my HHR is handling it beautifully though. We've had more than a foot of fresh snow here in the last couple days and this thing just plows right through it all. Good tires and not speeding are the key for me. People here seem to drive either 20 mph or 90 mph regardless of the road conditions, or how much ice is on them. Give yourself extra time to get to where your going and all is good :)
Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

this is my first winter with the HHR and we finally got aobut 20cms of snow in Toronto last night...brand new Bridgestone Blizzak tires (new model this year, cant remember the name right now) handled amazing with stops but the back end of this HHR is rreeeaaallly light i was fishtailing a lot last night in the snow and doing like 60/70km/h.....need some weight back there!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM

My 06 HHR traction control and ABS brakes were an option and not on my car. I learned to drive without those in the distant past. The I-95 drive up to Virginia (11 hours) was uneventful. My average speed was 69 mph for the last 340 mile section and the HHR averaged 30.3 mpg Hardeeville, Ga to Rocky Mount. NC. The first portion from Palm Bay to Hardeeville, the average was 29 mpg, but I had about 50 miles on that tank of around town driving.

Using cruise control most of the time helps with mpg.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 PM

My SS is like a tank with the Triple Treads on in the winter time. To be honest it is so good in the snow it is boring to drive.

I miss sliding my old truck around like Tony Stewart in a Outlaw Sprint Car.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Yeah this my first winter without my Subaru. I was in an accident which is why I have HHR I drove right threw the storm we had here in Buffalo last night my only complaint about the HHR is going from a stop. I have pretty decent all season which I'm sure if I had snows on the front it would be better but I would say all n all, it does fairly well in the snow 😃
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I need to make a run from Florida to upstate NY and snow Thursday. I haven't driven the HHR in snow since owning the car. I grew up in NY, so have driven in snow in the past (didn't like it much). Any hints on how the HHR handles in the snow. I'm not looking forward to snow with all season tires, and hoping that by Friday the roads will be plowed.
Good luck and stay safe. I just got off Exit 27 of the Adirondack Northway (I87 in upstate NY) this evening (Thursday the 27th) and saw 3 different accidents due to black ice. A Honda Accord was stacked into a guardrail, a Honda Civic was in a ravine and a Chevy Pickup 4x4 was off in the woods.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 AM

best thing about cold winter is to have fun with low traction... i like to turn car with throttle when reversing, and use e-brake just for fun- and to prevent it get stuck because of too little use. -well yeah now thats an excuse for doing donut turns!

But seriously, snow driving needs GOOD tires. period.
if tires tend to spin, do try to get car moving with minimum throttle.
secondly one needs to be calm and not panic if car slides.
its good that all HHR´s over here have ESC/ESP that controls and auto-brakes if needed. ...but frankly i tend to misuse it by driving always on the edge of it making auto braking, dont do as i do, but as i tell, sorry heehee.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Made it up with no issues as the plows were out and the roads were clear. I woke up today to this. So far so good in the snow, just keeping to 25 mph and gental starts as the front starts slipping to one side if I spin wheels. I remember why I moved to Florida. NO real change in my brothers condition though.

Quick Reply: Winter driving