General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Would you get new tires if you were trading in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Would you get new tires if you were trading in?

I will try to not make this confusing. My 07 HHR needs new tires. The 07 has 17" chrome rims. I am going to look at an 08 at a dealer which may have something other then the Chrome wheels and the ad says it has new tires. (Dealer is almost 600 miles away and according to the salesperson they are rims are chrome but the ad says Aluminum Wheels.) New tires will cost say 650.00. Dealer says if we strike a deal and I want to put my 07 rims and tires on the 08 I can do that.

What should I do? I guess the question I want to ask is if the 08 does have Chrome wheels would I be better on a trade in, not to have bought new tires and take the loss when they appraise the car (would the deduction be more than the 650?)? Or are they going to offer me more money with the new tires then if I have just legal tires?

Did 08 have chrome wheels available? I see the choices for 08 as being: 16 Inch Chrome Alloy Wheels, 17 Inch Painted Alloy Wheels and 17 Inch Polished Alloy Wheels. Would it be easy for a salesperson to confuse Chrome for polished alloy?

Thanks

John

Last edited by Fueluser; 04-06-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added another thought
Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 PM

Trades are usually based on auction prices, tire condition wouldn't usually be reflected. Sure, they will point it out and say, "well, we're gonna have to put tires on it" but you wouldn't get much more with new tires........ It's just one of their gimmicks.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Deceased

Well I'd ask the dealer to e-mail you pics of the wheels and "new" tires on the unit you are looking at. You can determine whether you like the wheels on the '08 and you can check out the tires to see they'll suit your needs. Most dealers will put "El Cheapo" tires on used units, round and black seems to be the only standard they use when outfitting used inventory with tires.

As far as fitting new rubber to your current HHR, I'd only do that if you don't like the wheels on the '08 and plan on keeping yours to install on the new unit. In actuality when a dealer appraises a vehicle for trade in they do account for the tires, but we're only talking a few bucks either way(if any), as the dealer can get tires dirt cheap because they buy them in volume.

Also, you can have wheels that are both chromed and aluminum at the same time, they are called chrome clad wheels and they have been offered on the HHR LT's on and off for the last couple of years.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM

First, don't get ahead of yourself. Find out exactly what the '08 has, then go from there. If the '08 has wheels you don't want, your decision is made for you.......
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 AM

Ideally that is how it should be but.... I am going to do this in one trip. I'm going out look at the car, make an offer and bring the thing home with me. No dealer prep ... just let them get the paperwork done and I am off. Hopefully it can take just 3 days total or less. I already pre-qualified the loan. But your right if I want my rims I can just drive the car back with the tires that need replacement and just get them when I am back home. Can you tell I want the car . I was looking at the ad again last night and the 08 has TPS which my 07 does not so maybe no matter what I just might keep the original 08 wheels as I don't want to go to the bother of buying TPS valves for my current wheels as I know they can be pricey. Already have to take my intake and sway bar off the 07, and rebuy splash guards and a trailer hitch.

John
Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 AM

ok i'm being lazy and not reading the above posts

in my experience....... get new tires. they don't have to be the greatest ones either. reason being is that most dealerships will look at them and deduct $ from the trade-in value because then they'll have to put that money into the car to resell it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 AM

First off work out a price on the HHR and then tell them about the trade. Never talk trade before you agree to a price on what you want. That is the first step to getting ripped off.

Second unless you are selling it out righ you would just be buying the dealer tires. Keep in mind they don't care about the tires as they can replace them a whole lot cheaper than you can.

Like stated they look at auction price and right now you are not going to like what they offer. The market is flooded with a lot of HHR's and it has driven the price down. New tires will not improve the issue.

Now if you change your mind to sell it yourself then tires will help.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fueluser
Can you tell I want the car .
John
And of course they will pick up on that fact when you set foot on their lot, if they haven't already. That means you probably will not get the best all around deal. Be prepared to walk away if everything is not exactly as you want it to be (within reason of course).

Personally I would not bother with new tires on your current HHR. You'll only get a fraction of it back on the trade. As far as swapping the wheels, I would avoid this also. Doing things like this make it ripe for the dealer to pull something that will not be in your favor. If the wheels are not what you want on the new one, give some consideration to aftermarket wheels.