General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Would you like to help GM? Here's how!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cokeybill
By the way, I'm with ChevyMgr ...I'm ridding myself from this thread...too many GM bashers for owners of HHRs.
I tried to undo the ignore feature. But, the troll's made me do it again.......
Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 AM

I remember when Americans were proud

I remember when Americans were proud. Proud to be an American, proud to buy American. Now look at you.
I will say it again because it is a fact. If GM goes under America will go into a full scale depression as bad or worse than the Great one.

It is coming anyway because China pays under 50 cents per hour with no benifits and they are taking our jobs by the tens of millions every year. Sooner or later the bottom will fall out. Yes, The union jobs and management are overpaid in my opinion but we still can not compete with 50 cents per hour and no taxes to support our Goverment. Things made in America support our tax system with payroll taxes, IRS, Workmans Comp and Social Security. Things bought from China supports China. Are you American or not?
If not then leave, go to China. They are hiring.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cokeybill
By the way, I'm with ChevyMgr ...I'm ridding myself from this thread...too many GM bashers for owners of HHRs.

Not a GM basher, I don't believe tax payer money should be used to bailout ANY company!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 AM

yeah ^^, just go bankrupt n start over
Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Founding Member

But who will be left to build me one of these?

Last edited by SindyDix; 11-20-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM

I'm helping GM as much as I can. I own a 2003 Z71 Silverado, a 2007 Cadillac STS-4, and a 2008 HHR Shadow Edition. I traded a 2002 Bonneville SLE on the HHR. I own quite a bit of GM stock, worth much less than I paid for it, as well as GMAC bonds.

My only other comment is; if the big 3 don't survive, or at least 2 of the 3, I'm afraid we'll be paying $40K for Toyota Corollas in the future, captive audience the Japanese will have. We need to stop incenting foreign manufacturers and realize the importance of American Industries.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM

It isnt just the big three that are having problems! The foreign manufacturers are having a tough time also. Where they hold the cars when they get off the ship is full. They are having to lease more lots to store the cars as there not being sold.

In Fremont Ca. The Toyota plant is going to stop the second shift and lay everyone off so it isnt just the big three.

I am totally against bailing out the big three. That money needs to go to the states and the people. Stop the forclosuers. Increase unemployment benefits.

This country needs to figure out how to get people back to work. Unemployment is at a high rate now. The states are hurting!

Here in California we are faced with a $11B deficit. The Gov. wants to increase income tax, add 1.5% to the sales tax, and increase vehicle registration by 1%. These may seem small amounts but here in Alameda county were paying 8.75% sales tax already and they want to add 1.5% This will bring Alameda County to 10.25% sales tax.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by billbeau
I am totally against bailing out the big three. That money needs to go to the states and the people. Stop the forclosuers. Increase unemployment benefits.

This country needs to figure out how to get people back to work. Unemployment is at a high rate now. The states are hurting!

Here in California we are faced with a $11B deficit. The Gov. wants to increase income tax, add 1.5% to the sales tax, and increase vehicle registration by 1%. These may seem small amounts but here in Alameda county were paying 8.75% sales tax already and they want to add 1.5% This will bring Alameda County to 10.25% sales tax.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to keep jobs, and improve the companies we have instead of having to increase unemployment benefits? You want to put people back to work, but don't think we should help the automakers? Kinda sounds like you should run for Congress.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by altmanglen
My only other comment is; if the big 3 don't survive, or at least 2 of the 3, I'm afraid we'll be paying $40K for Toyota Corollas in the future, captive audience the Japanese will have.
The Japanese will have plenty of competition when the Chinese cars start coming in a year or two.

I found it interesting that every single one of the auto execs that went to Washington to beg for money flew there in a private luxury jet (no, they didn't go together; they each had their own). When one of the Senators asked who would be willing to sell their expensive luxury jet and fly home on a commercial carrier, no one raised their hand. I think that's what we're all bashing. They want welfare and concessions from everyone else, just so it isn't themselves giving anything up.

Face it, the government IS going to bail them out, they're just putting on a show for the voters/taxpayers to make it look like they're really doing something.

Golly, I'm glad I'm not a cynic or anything.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Let them file Ch 11 and reorginize.

The employees at the Big 3 are also at fault here. There way over paid for what they do. Dont get me wrong I worked on a auto assembly line and its tough work! But in 2001 I was paid 16.75 per hour to hang a fender and spot weld two pieces of a door assembly together. I had 56 sec to do this. Most of the people I worked with were some of the most uneducated workers I have ever met. Most of them hardly past high school allot had GED's. I took that job as my job as an internet systems eng went bust like allot of others. It was good money as we had a ton of OT. People in the stamping dept. Where they stamped out fenders and such out of sheet steel or aluminum were making around 100K working 12 hour shifts keeping the sheets fed in the machine and stacking the finished product. The union there was the UAW!

Dump the UAW and any employee that sticks with them. Offer any employee that wants to work without the UAW 36K/yr Medical and Dental. Retirement is on you just like everyone else. Fire the board of directors the CEO and get fresh blood in there that can build what America needs.