General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

WOW used cars are scarce.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned

WOW used cars are scarce.......

Been shopping for another car and the lots are thin as far as used cars go. In fact my HHR which I paid $14000 OTD when it was 8 months old with 11k is being advertised on cars.com and a few other sites for $14K asking.....

The original owner of my car took a $10K drubbing in 8 months. I will take at most a $3000 drubbing after 2 years if I decide to sell it for 11K which seems to be under market price.

I only have 25K miles on an 06. Most dealers want the car for $9000 ACV trade in) but I think I can sell it easily myself. Thats why I don't buy new cars. The first year depreciation is brutal whether one keeps it for 10 years or two. Its still a pile of lost money for the "new car smell"

I have not decided what I want though. I do know I want something more reliable. Even though I have had no issues in the 14K miles I put on it. I am still leary of the issues that may arise.

Im thinking a used Volvo C30 or Mazda 3 as a replacement. I want to get excited about the HHR again..Because it really is a great car on many levels,,,,,,,,,.then I read the problem threads, TSBs, and scare myself into wanting to get something else..............
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 PM

The lack of used cars is because of the Cash for Clunkers program. What was the total 700,000+ cars that were traded in as part of that program.... 700,000+ used cards that were NOT on the market. Sure not everyone who used the program would have bought a car this year(most did it because they could) others really needed to.

But either way...those cars had to be destroyed and it means less that are available for those of us looking. So with fewer cars they have had to move up in the price range. Once I had decided on an HHR, they were being sold right out from underneath me left and right. I would see a car listing, call the dealership and it was sold either the same day I had called or the day before.

I was exclusively looking at the 2006 model year for price reasons, but there was only 1, that's right 1, 2006 within 35 miles of me...and I live in the Raleigh/Durham area. The 2006 that was available was a 1LT whose brakes pulsed so bad I didn't think it was going to stop at all, and the guy wanted $12995 for it.

So I made the call for the 2007 2LT that an independent dealer had listed for $12,995, but had told me previously when I came to test drive his 2003 PT Cruiser GT he would come down to $12,600, but he said the car was out with a customer and he might have it back the next day. He called me the next day and I went to drive it. After finally making the decision to buy it and returning with a check from the bank the dealer get's a call while I am in the office signing the paper work. One of their other lots had called and the guy who had driven it the previous day was ready to buy it.

Few more hours and I would have still been looking because this car would have been gone as well. Cash for Clunkers has really stirred up the market and put us in a situation we have never been in before.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Just wait till the price of scrap metal falls. Because of all the car hitting the srape yards at the same time. They have 90 days to sell good parts then be scraped. If you think what has that got to do with me, Wait you will see.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by oneton
Just wait till the price of scrap metal falls. Because of all the car hitting the srape yards at the same time. They have 90 days to sell good parts then be scraped. If you think what has that got to do with me, Wait you will see.
X 2 the ripple effect is comming.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:45 AM

The lack of leasing options has also impacted the used car market.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:31 AM

Im thinking a used Volvo C30 or Mazda 3 as a replacement. I want to get excited about the HHR again..Because it really is a great car on many levels,,,,,,,,,.then I read the problem threads, TSBs, and scare myself into wanting to get something else..............
Look at sites dedicated to Volvo and Mazda and you won't buy them either. EVERY automobile ever built, or will be, has problems and the owners discuss problems real and imagined. That tends to make the car in question appear to be problematic regardless of it's actual standing in the industry.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 AM

USed cars are not rare here. WIth sales tanking after the CFC nothing is selling.

TSB are a way of life. It does not matter the make or model most have a big book of TSB's. The Camry make the HHR look good.

I have the ability to go on the web and pull up TSB's on any make and model and it is amazing how many are out there for most models.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 AM

Used lots are packed full around here.

New lots, not so much.

Junk yards are picking the C4C vehicles apart. Only thing getting scrapped is the motors.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

My HHR only lost $10k in value over 4 years with 85k on the odo. It's all in finding the right buyer or dealer who wants to work with you.

My '06 Mustang that replaced it, however, lost $15k in value to the original owner. It only had 15k on the odo when I bought it. V8 convertibles are a tough sell in this economy over a 32 MPG four-banger crossover.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hyperv6
USed cars are not rare here. WIth sales tanking after the CFC nothing is selling.

TSB are a way of life. It does not matter the make or model most have a big book of TSB's. The Camry make the HHR look good.

I have the ability to go on the web and pull up TSB's on any make and model and it is amazing how many are out there for most models.

Indeed.....You read the problem threads and no car looks like a good buy....Also I have higher expectations for some models and those threads will scare me off a brand. Nowhere did that expose itself more than the X3 forum I read after seeing a deal on one. No way. If I am going to have issues I want them on a Chevy rather than a BMW.

MAybe I'll kee the HHR....25K miles is not bad...

Quick Reply: WOW used cars are scarce.......