General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

WOW used cars are scarce.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
My HHR only lost $10k in value over 4 years with 85k on the odo. It's all in finding the right buyer or dealer who wants to work with you.

My '06 Mustang that replaced it, however, lost $15k in value to the original owner. It only had 15k on the odo when I bought it. V8 convertibles are a tough sell in this economy over a 32 MPG four-banger crossover.
Most of that was given up in year one based on what I bought my car for at 8 months old...This experience has reinforced my decision to always buy used After all every single car one sees on the road everyday is a used car!! LOL,

After a couple buying cycles one saves enough to get practically a free car..
Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 AM

I my area many used cars on the secondary lot market. I've never had much luck finding a used car that did not have problems. My question is why would someone get rid of a low mileage new car. I did get rid of a new 82 Chrysler LaBaron after 4000 miles. I was having problems with the car. It sat at the dealers for about a year until some poor soul bought it. I got a letter from the new owner about three years later wondering why I traded it. I told them that it seemed to be a lemon, and they confirmed that as they had nothing but problems with that car. I saw it one last time on a flatbed with the front wheels pointing in two different directions.

A side note is my local Chevy dealer has 42 new cars on his lot, mostly Silverados and no HHRs. I just ordered some new tires for my HHR..Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max good for ~65000 miles, since the original Firestone tire have 53,000+ miles on them, I figure the tires will last until the HHR will have over 100,000 miles.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I my area many used cars on the secondary lot market. I've never had much luck finding a used car that did not have problems. My question is why would someone get rid of a low mileage new car. I did get rid of a new 82 Chrysler LaBaron after 4000 miles. I was having problems with the car. It sat at the dealers for about a year until some poor soul bought it. I got a letter from the new owner about three years later wondering why I traded it. I told them that it seemed to be a lemon, and they confirmed that as they had nothing but problems with that car. I saw it one last time on a flatbed with the front wheels pointing in two different directions.

A side note is my local Chevy dealer has 42 new cars on his lot, mostly Silverados and no HHRs. I just ordered some new tires for my HHR..Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max good for ~65000 miles, since the original Firestone tire have 53,000+ miles on them, I figure the tires will last until the HHR will have over 100,000 miles.
Actually one dealer asked me the same question. Why would I trade out of a 25K mile car in great condition for a SIMILAR car....?

I guess I was part bored , part enthusiastic about the prices these cars are suddenly getting on the open market. Don;t think I have ever owned a vehicle for 2 years that cost me $2000 to drive based on the OTD price.

Car shopping has been eye opening recently. The leak lots have a ton of used cars. The new car dealers have few because they said the auction prices are being driven up buy a lack of inventory.

I think I will fix the door dings and do something else to the HHR to make it "new" again and keep it. I only put 6K a year on a car. It could last a long long time..........
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM

I'd keep the HHR... I mean, Every car has it's issues, and you have to remember...more people complain than give praise. So it might look like there are a lot of issues, but how many people don't?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I'd keep the HHR... I mean, Every car has it's issues, and you have to remember...more people complain than give praise. So it might look like there are a lot of issues, but how many people don't?
t

Good Advice.....and other than the first few months or ownership where I had the Steering column replaced, Shifter replaced and a few other common issues repaired under warranty, it has been flawless.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:42 AM

I decided many years ago to never buy new. Its not worth it. So, while you are right that buying used is your best bet, trading it after only 2 years doesn't really put you very far ahead. Run it until it's got 150k or more. Even if you stick $1500 into it for something down the road, you will more than get your money's worth out of it.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 AM

Glad I got mine before the whole Cash for Clunkers program.
I definetly wanted a used versus new car, and have been very happy with the one I got.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 AM

I bought my HHR used earlier this month. 2008 2LT, leather, sunroof, pioneer stereo, polished 17's, running boards, chrome mirror covers and door handles, & vent-visors. I believe the only options I don't have are roof rails and the spoiler... both of which I am really happy without. A one-owner local trade with 24,000 miles.

I paid right at 14k for it, which I think is a good deal.

But yes, the used market is very scarce right now... especially for smaller, fuel efficient vehicles. Though if you want a full size truck or big SUV you can find plenty.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM

My Beautifull HHR SS is for sale!!! Let's talk!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Used lots are packed full around here.

New lots, not so much.
Thats what is like here. My wife and I are shopping for a minivan, and new lots have little inventory. Even dealers that used to be all new car sales have switched to all used inventories.

Quick Reply: WOW used cars are scarce.......