General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Xm ????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 AM

Xm ????????

I have a 08 LT Panel with std radio ...........I am confused can i order XM or do i need the next radio up?
I do have a XM feature on the radio but i can not go to any channels and it goes right back to FM within about 20 seconds. I called XM and they needed to ser. # off the radio and i can't get it to come up on the display.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
jx3

To find your xm radio id #.........

Scroll through the "band" button to find xm band. i.e.......AM/FM/XM

If no xm band is found, then your vehicle is not set up w/ xm. i.e. band button only changes from AM/FM only.

If xm band is located, manually tune to the lowest xm station. Not sure if it's 0 or 1. This is where you will find your xm id #.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:23 PM

If you have the 1LT your radio is XM capable unless you ordered the upgrade which would include the Pioneer Subwoofer. Generally, no sub = no XM.

XM can be installed, but it requires the removal and reinstallation of many interior panels.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 PM

OK........my band only has AM/FM ........BUT i do have CAT button when i push it (XM feature) comes up on the displayed...and when i try to change the channels it takes me back to FM.

So do i have XM?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by waterdude
OK........my band only has AM/FM ........BUT i do have CAT button when i push it (XM feature) comes up on the displayed...and when i try to change the channels it takes me back to FM.

So do i have XM?
No, you are missing the xm module. The radio w/ the CAT button is ready and willing to accept it. You just have to pay for the module and install. Maybe cheaper to get a portable xm unit.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 PM

I'm in the same scenerio. I ordered the XM OEM module from gmpartsidrect.com

Don't get it from the dealership, they'll charge you more.

Check out this link:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/xm-radio-solution-all-11960/
Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM

Before you spend the money, XM radio is no great thing, IMO. Spend the money on an Ipod instead.

XM's sound quality is garbage. It's only just better than streaming audio over the web. To my ear, it sounds thin and tinny, and there is a noticeable fuzz or delay on hard consonants like "t" or "s" sounds. MP3 sound qulity is much better, and CDaudio is better than that. Maybe I'm too far north and I don't get a strong signal from the satelites. I dunno.

Also - while it's true there is 170 some odd chanels to choose from, only 5 to 10% of that content will appeal to any given individual. Get a hold of their chanel list and read through it to see how much of it you will ever listen to. Hits of the 40's? Seriously?

They tout it as being commercial free.... strange... I listened to five minutes of somebody telling me how great some noise-cancelling headphones are, and how I can order my own pair from such and such a web site just the other day.

There is also no local news, traffic and weather, obviously. That may not seem like a big deal, but I drive in the city all the time and found that I missed the traffic reports. I was switching back to local FM stations around the top of the hour to get traffic reports, and leaving it there most times.

My 90 free days expires in early September and I won't be paying to subscribe. I'm glad I was able to get a free trial period... it probably saved me some money. I'll be buying an Ipod instead and loading up my favourite songs, plugging into the aux. jack, and there you go.

Just one man's opinion, worth exactly one half of bupkis, but I found XM radio to be a major let down.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
They tout it as being commercial free.... strange... I listened to five minutes of somebody telling me how great some noise-cancelling headphones are, and how I can order my own pair from such and such a web site just the other day.
It depends on the channels.

The XM controlled music channels are commercial free, everything else may have commercials.

I really liked XM when we first got it, but I have found over the last few months, even though the merger is not official, it has become diluted and has a lot of repetition.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
Before you spend the money, XM radio is no great thing, IMO. Spend the money on an Ipod instead.
I just love XM sat radio. The sound on the stations I listen to are amazing. I enjoy the Jazz, Blues, Clasic Rock and comedy. For the most part it's commercial free and the DJ's have a vast amount of knowledge about what they play.

I find the local broadcasts of radio way more tinny as far as sound goes.

I think it's one of the nicer features of the car.

I will very much renew my subscription after the free trial.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 PM

my wife is getting hooked on the XM so we'll see what we think about it in 3 months.

The one thing i was wondering does your fizz out every once in awhile. we keep on getting little bouts of static fizz with it.

Usually when we're near some tallish building or in our car port (but often just for no reason) it just seems like it should be strong enough to come though. It's annoying to the point where if it keeps it up i don't know if we'll keep it.