General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

XM To Sirious

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM

XM To Sirious

I am about ready to order a HHR SS and would like to have Sirious through the factory radio. Should I get the XM radio option and get it converted to Sirius or not bother and use an add-on unit? As a race fan I want to have the NASCAR station available.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Aren' Sirius and XM supposed to be merging soon?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM

I've got Sirius run through the aux port in the front of the radio. You won't need the XM option if you want to just have Sirius.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Offy
I am about ready to order a HHR SS and would like to have Sirious through the factory radio. Should I get the XM radio option and get it converted to Sirius or not bother and use an add-on unit?
As far as I know, you won't be able to get it convered.

I believe your only option would be to use an add-on unit run through the aux port.

Even if XM and Sirius merge, you would need a new radio if you wanted their proposed a la carte options.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 PM

I have XM built in and I love it on long trips. But, I really wish I had a portable unit to take into the house and listen to Cardinal baseball games. I've even considered buying a portable unit and cancelling the subscription for my car.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:24 PM

I have been a Sirius subscriber since last January...I added it in to my other car, using the FM transmitter option. I ran the antenna wire, plugged the power cord in to the rear ash cig lighter, and tuned in to a dead FM station.

the Sirius unit is detachable, and can be used on a boom box, a home set up, etc....fortunately, the HHR's stock radio has the aux-in port, so you can run a small line-out/line-in from the sirius unit to the stock radio...then select AUX on the stock head unit. Then you can take Sirius with you if you buy a home kit, or boombox.

I wouldnt mind having my Sirius in my HHR as well, I just would need a new "car installation" kit...with a Sirius antenna, and power cord. That, and find a spot to mount it.

but for now, I am content with the XM...until my trial runs out.
I havent listened to regular radio in over a year. Makes my 130 mile a day commute much easier to tolerate...that, and driving my 30 mpg HHR!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 PM

I personally prefer Sirius to XM. Have subscribed to Sirius since Dec. '02 and had it in 2 vehicles, plus the boombox for use around the pool and camping. Bought a new Silverado 2500HD in January '07 and it had XM. Used it for the trial, the went ahead and subscribed. So have been using both for the last year. Still prefer Sirius. I have the Sirius Sportster 4, connected to the AUX port on my factory system. Sounds great. Sirius unit sits discretely between passenger seat and floor console, next to parking brake. Plugged into power port at rear of console, so easy to hide that wire. Running the wire for the magnetic antenna was very easy, and is completely hidden (placed antenna on roof at rear of vehicle).
Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I have XM built in and I love it on long trips. But, I really wish I had a portable unit to take into the house and listen to Cardinal baseball games. I've even considered buying a portable unit and cancelling the subscription for my car.
You can get additionals subs added to your account at a discount, and radios with home kits are dirt cheap now (I paid $30 for an Audiovox Xpress EZ with home kit).

But I'm an XM addict. I have XM in the car (factory), a SkyFi2 upstairs, a Roady XT downstairs, an XM repeater upstairs that broadcasts the signal from one antenna to both units, plus I have a radio at the office (terrestrial repeater is one block away).

I need help
Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Got the Cord

I picked up a audio cord to go from the audio port on my $20 Sirius radio to the port of the HHR radio. Plug in the power port and magnetic antenna and the radio plays through the car's system. Does anyone know if you can tap into the XM antenna? The short cords of the audio and power are not a problem but the antenna is a pain and susceptible to damaging the paint.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:16 PM

good question...I dont think the Sirius unit can receive the XM satellite signal.

with the antenna from the XM would work in my Sirius Sportster4...I'd love to have Sirius when my XM runs out, without having to run a new antenna.