General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

XMradio surprise

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Talking XMradio surprise

hi
so along with the surprise of this being a 2lt ,i got another surprise.

for some reason last week my battery died and had to boost.
after this all my radio presets were gone so i was playing with the radio menus.
the previous owner had told me he had not subscribed to xm ,but his father in law had, but when he inherited the hhr it was not renewed.

i had never even tried the xm part of the radio due to me not being subscribed.

by accident i managed to get to the xm preview station and again by accident i turned the channel knob and there are xm channels to 125.first i thought ok ,this is a preview or a promotion trying to get me to purchase.
i have left it on for a week and all the channels are still working.

so the original owner must have purchased the lifetime subscription and his son in law ,just like me assumed that it was not there and he did not subscribe.

my question is this:
a couple of the good comedy channels are missing and i am wondering if the xm radio has a parental control that has them locked out.i read the manual but could find nothing to indicate this. you cannot pick and choose ,so they must be blocked on (i am hoping)the radio level and not thru xmcanada.

i do not plan on calling xm and trying to explain this.i will be happy with what i got if it cannot be remedied at the radio level.
regards,jeff
Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

They are running some kind of "free" promotion. It is available to everyone.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with "fireman" above.

According to an e-mail I received from them....any XM/Sirrius radio will have a couple weeks free.....ending on a specific date, that I can't remember. All my XM vehicles have the free promotion and I do NOT subscribe to any.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM

i scoured the xm canada site and could find nothing in regards to a promo.
oh well ,will enjoy til it ends(or doesn't)

that would explain why some of the adult comedy is missing though.
thanks for the replys
Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM

From what I understand, the promo runs from the the time you initially access it and lasts for two weeks. If you choose to subscribe, it's $5 per month for 5 months then it goes to regular price, which I think is $12.95 per month. We had a free trial back in 05 when we bought the car and haven't used it since.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM

hi all
i see on digitalhome.ca that they are running a promo til september 12/2011 to try and entice people with lapsed subscriptions to subscribe.
they say 55 channels are available but it seems there are more on mine.
guess we will know on the 12th.

i am not really on the road enough to subscribe,i mainly do custom mp3 discs to play in the stereo.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM

I subscribe to the 'standard' music channels, but this week I've been getting the Greatful Dead channel and Radio Margaritaville for free.....
Old 09-06-2011, 11:17 PM

Especially since channels are 'missing' it sounds like you stumbled onto the ongoing "welcome back" two week free trial. They don't activate all the channels when they do these free periods It is more than 55 but not the whole 200+.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 PM

I have it. Still don't use it. Kinda pissed I didn't have the option to delete it.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Life without XM.....I couldn't do it.

I despise terrestrial radio, a bunch of boring dults that play the same rotation of music ever 2 hours with DJ's that are afraid to say a swear word.

FM sucks.

Quick Reply: XMradio surprise