General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Yakima Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Yakima Rack

I am new to the forum and have read a few posts about people putting Yakima Racks on the factory installed roof rack. I know that Yakima does not officially support the HHR - but a few people have put on the cross bars anyway. How did it work out? Any problems or issues? I want to carry either 2 bikes, 2 kayaks or 2 snowboards.... any one have any thoughts, concerns, or issues with using the Yakima system?

I already have a Yakima system for my old car and do not want to spend $1000 switching to Thule if I can prevent it.

Thank you for your time!
Old 05-16-2009, 01:13 PM

I’m investigating putting ladders on the top of my HHR and have been looking at the “Roof Rails” that attach directly to the roof. Both Yakima and Thule make them and are, I am told interchangeable; i.e. the mounts that you attach the “Cross Bars” to can use either manufactures Roof Rails. Dealers can get them in up to 72” long; this is not openly discussed in the catalog and the online sites. This option might same some of your prior investment.

If you already have the HHR factory roof rack then your original question will have to wait for others to answer. If not, installers tell me that it is best to attach the Yakima or Thule Roof Rails as close to the sides of the vehicle as possible. This will mean the roof rails will not be parallel, but will be narrower at the rear than the front of the vehicle. The HHR roof is pretty flimsy. The Yakima roof rails are the most substantial in my opinion, but I am still looking for a solid aluminum product as both Yakima and Thule are a honeycomb product with junk plastic ends.

GM has a ladder rack option I am not happy with.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 AM

Mighty Mounts

I put together my Yakama Rack using the Yakima Mighty-mounts. The 14H and 1V fit almost perfect around the factory cross-bars. The 14H is horizontal and leaves a vertical hole to attach to. The 1V provides a horizontal hole. I use both for different applications (ski rack, bike mount, Ladder Rack). I put together my bike rack(s) with a Yakima long tray, 1.5 sets of the 14H, a fork mount that you would normally bolt into a pickup truck bed with some parts I made plus bolts from the hardware store. With a little creativity, the Might Mounts, the parts you have and a hardware store, I think you can probably pull one together.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Buy a Thule rack with the rubber grips that wrap around the HHR roof racks. Actually, they adjust to any roof rack and they work great!