General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

You think an HHR can last this long?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 AM

She's got over 562,000 miles on that car......
Old 07-16-2010, 08:31 AM

what a great story ....
Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 AM

We all know that Fieros caught fire etc and were not the best. Rick has an 87 coupe 2.5L four with over 500,000 the last I knew. It has been over maintained.

Her Mercury was a simple V-8 with no computer controlled engine, plus she took real good care of it.

The biggest issue there is with older cars is finding replacement parts. My 87 needs a cruise control clutch release switch..a discontinued part, used ones are in the same condition as the one in my car i.e. barely functioning.

I think I have located one and waiting for its arrival, albeit quite pricey.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 AM

I have seen this car and met the lady. She came with it to a local cruise night last Wednesday. Awesome car. It is as nice in person as any of the restored classics that showed up. The lady is a real pistol too. Sharp as a tack in her 90s. Nice car with original cruise control and dealer installed AC. The dealership she was in is owned by a friend of mine and a couple of friends work there. It's Uptown Lincoln Mercury Ford. The guy standing with her during the interview is the owner of the dealership's son.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by lordairgtar
I have seen this car and met the lady. She came with it to a local cruise night last Wednesday. Awesome car. It is as nice in person as any of the restored classics that showed up. The lady is a real pistol too. Sharp as a tack in her 90s. Nice car with original cruise control and dealer installed AC. The dealership she was in is owned by a friend of mine and a couple of friends work there. It's Uptown Lincoln Mercury Ford. The guy standing with her during the interview is the owner of the dealership's son.
I really thought this was a neat story. The lady seems pretty cool too. Isn't she from Wisconsin? Before I bought my HHR, when I was looking around, Uptown Chevrolet had an HHR that I was interested in. That's not where I ended up getting mine, but I did look there.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 AM

Many of GM mechanical parts will be around for years. the HHR shares a lot of parts with all the Delta cars like a Malibu, Cobalt and G5 or G6.

Even the brakes are shared with a Solstice, Sky and Opel GT.

The real issues on most newer cars are trim parts, body parts and interiror parts. These items get used up and NOS parts become expensive.

Untill some of the high use items get reproduced or even get reproduced at all they are the real issues.

Getting mechanical parts for my Fiero is not a problem but try to get a console support frame or even a dash with out the corners knocked off it can be difficult at times.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:29 AM

way off in left field.... but, if we ever get a really bad solar storm or EMP... its these old cars that will still run..... ours might but you would need to stockpile the needed electronics.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
way off in left field.... but, if we ever get a really bad solar storm or EMP... its these old cars that will still run..... ours might but you would need to stockpile the needed electronics.
That may be the least of our worries.....
Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Anycar can last 50 years or more.
It depends on the how it is used and how it is cared for.

......I have a Fiero of all things that just turned 25 years old. It is in like new condition. I even wax the floor pan since I show the car. I bought it new and even have a couple winters in it. ...
Now there was a great car that Pontiac killed off just when it was getting really good!!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 PM

good luck finding gas in 50 years....better start studying chemistry now so you can brew your own.........besides, in a year and a half it wont matter anyways...........

Quick Reply: You think an HHR can last this long?