General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

In Your Opionion

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 AM

One of the things that really impressed me about the 2LT is highway driving. It feels rock solid at 80 with exceptional road feel, not harsh or mushy and it will easily go 100 with a top speed of just under 120. That kind of straight-line performance is impressive regardless of what you're driving.

If you need sporty high-speed cornering you'll need the SS but the 2LT is more than adequate, just not a sports car. Adding a sway bar in the rear only yields a slight improvement.

Acceleration is well balanced at most speeds and from a stop... it's definitely adequate and much better than most 4-banger economy cars. Expect to average 25mpg mixing highway and city with 29-30 highway with a/c running.

Room for 5 is iffy so if every time you drive there's 5 people in it that's not ideal, but 4 is no problem.

Carrying capacity for cargo is outstanding. I moved from a Cherokee and although I never did a side-by-side comparison you can get a LOT of stuff in it.

As far as the "cool factor" personally I couldn't care less what other people think and I don't follow trends. I like being my own person and driving an HHR expresses that.

Never drove a G6, not interested in coupes.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 AM

The HHR will be one of those cars that will end up being very popular in 20 to 30 years I think, as it has such great capabilities of being modified - lowered, painted, wheels, grills, etc.

The storage is fantiastic - think about it - camping - hauling kayaks - cargo. Has tons of power.

Best of all - you get a huge bang for your buck. There are many rentals out there which has lowered the resale value on them. If you are buying used, that's a great advantage to you. Search hard and long and you'll get a really good deal.

Only thing to really look for when buying used - test drive it and do a bit of stopping - see if the brakes shake when you stop. They do have a problem with warped rotors on some cars, which is an easy fix. If they do shake, make sure they give you new (not resurfaced) rotors as a part of the deal.

Love mine!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Don't bother with a G6 unless you get a killer deal.

If you are buying get a HHR for space and the SS is driven by people under 30. Or get a Camaro V6.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 AM

How many G cars are their now? hhr also has its own look vs. the G6 which looks like the G 5 4 and 3.
Wish I would have had the $$ for a SS hhr but I love my 2LT and it has turned me back into a chevy man.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 AM

I have a aqua blue 09 LT2, There are six of us in my family, I added a seat belt in the back and my kids fight over who gets to ride there. Plenty of power, I also own a 6.0 L 3/4 ton Suburban with lots of power and don't see a disatvantage in the HHR. Love the mileage difference in town Suburban 14, HHR 27....
Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by BigMOCats
You're right.........it's not cool by kid standards. Even mine gets hardly a look from the under 25 crowd, but c'mon, a G6........doesn't get much lamer than that!! What's next? A Cobalt........oops, sorry!
Haha yeah the ,ost I get from my friends is. " what the **** its got no windows. CAN WE RIDE IN THE BACK!!!" hahahaha its funny. But yeah not a second look by many.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 AM

G6: Probably fun to drive. Very good performance. Can easily seat 5. Nice car. Very boring to look at. A car you probably won't remember too long after your done with it.

HHR: Definitely fun to drive. I've driven both the 2.2 and the 2.4. The 2.4 is better on the freeway. Handling is decent, certainly not up to "sport sedan" standards, but good. Day to day mileage will be better than the G6. Seating 5 is tight. I don't do it because I want my passengers to be comfortable. Love it or hate it looks. Will always stir conversation among your friends. A unique model that you won't forget owning for the rest of your life.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:19 PM

I graduated college last dec. and bough my SS in April. I have always liked the uniqueness of the hhr. The ss even w/ a sunroof is very quite at highway speeds. Doesn't feel like you are going 75, but I guess I am comparing that to 10+ year car that I had previously. I test drove the 2.4 and it was a very nice drive.