General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ZMax - Hype or Fact!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 AM

ZMax - Hype or Fact!!!!

I have been considering on using ZMax in my baby on the next oil change. Has anyone used this product in their HHR's oil and gas? If so, have you seen any benefits from using it? Or is it all just a marketing strategy to sell a worthless product.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 AM

I think from what I have seen it will not hurt anything but if you use a quality oil and change like you should there is no need for it.

With todays Syn oils there is no need for additives. If properly maintained the engines will well out last the vehicles as it is.

You can use it and not hurt anything but what do you really have to gain?

There is so much argument over what to use most products out there will support and maintain your engine. In the past oils were poor and broke down often.

But not so much with this one but other additives you do run the risk of a poor additive at times. Ones like Slick $50 was nothing more than a slick $50 lost and engine sludge.

The bottom line is you engine will last as long with out this product as with by just following factory directions. You have a better chance of rust eating the body up and brake lines before you will see an engine problem under normal use.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 AM

I'm always leery of putting stuff in the engine. I'll put it in the gas, but the engine oil, no... I figure it runs good, I don't want to screw it up. Besides, I've read that it's bad because you can't get all of it out at the oil change, so some of it stays in your engine and will eat away at seals and stuff and contaminate the good new oil. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I read once.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 AM

Go for it. For me, my 710 cap says Mobile 1 right on it. nuff sed.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 AM

It is a very good quality oil, but it does little in the way of claims. It is a nice little marketing program they have. I have used the oil additive in 2 vehicles, documented the mileage and have never obtained the results claimed. I have also had my oil tested after one use in my '94 explorer and the results came back with a slightly elevated carbon content, but little else outside of typical engine oil. I presume the elevated carbon content was indicative of some cleaning action, but nothing else.

It's your dime, so use it as you see fit.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 AM

I've used mystery marvel oil in my older carb V8 engines without any ill effects. I have not and probably will not ever use it in my new vehicles.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Go for it. For me, my 710 cap says Mobile 1 right on it. nuff sed.
710 cap...haven't heard that in long time Well played
Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 PM

I use Marvel Mystery Oil in my 23 year old car w 128,000. I biught the car new and change the oil with dino oil every 3-4000 miles which is any more about once a year.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

I use MMO in my old Flathead Harley, in the gas only...

But for todays motors. I am of the school, that you can possibly add something that may not agree with your oil additive package, & be better off with good oil.

I only use Mobil 1 full syn.. ( & this isn't a M1 commercial)..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM

Thumbs down Zmax= Snake Oil

Zmax = snake oil, don't belive me, Google it. They are in legal lidagations

Quick Reply: ZMax - Hype or Fact!!!!