HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

The '08 SS is now for SALE....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
Even though miles may be high, when u consider the condition of the vehicle, miles are just a number. Also with the new and installed items from post #1, it's not such a bad deal at all. Of course l am being bias, because it is my SS. I would consider an offer in the 15k range, but anything lower, I'll just keep it. I feel if is one of the cleanest '08's out there. has not used a drop of oil from day one, always changed with Mobil 1, someone would be very happy with this SS.
I would just keep it. It may be super clean but in the end the miles are there and they do make a difference in the pricing, put yourself in a buyers shoes.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 PM

Keep It

I have noticed a pattern on here of HHRs being sold in excellent condition. The prices seem to start high and one of two things happens:

1. Occasionally, the price slowly drops to something reasonable, and the car sells. Girlfriend's loaded 2006 2LT started at something like $9500, and she eventually paid $7500 ($8500 with repairs and expenses of out-of-state delivery).

2. More frequently, the owner ends up keeping it because he can't bear to let it go at a price the market will support.

HHRs were in a lot of rental fleets, are not trendy, and have only average reliability. Their resale value reflects this. The SS is a special case. Its turbocharger has the 5 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty. SS prices seem to drop off a cliff as the end of that warranty approaches. HHR spare parts should be common and cheap, but turbo parts may be costly and have limited availability.

I try to keep cars for 10-15 years and 200,000 miles. This should be doable with our 2LTs, but I'd be scared to risk it in an SS.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by bartSS
Its a clean car but people look at miles man and there are ones with less than half the miles u have that went out the door for 16k
I hear you there, so if that's the case and there are no bites, I'll just drive it another 70,000 miles......
Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 PM

It's a good position to be in when you're not desperate to sell. You can hold out for your price and still enjoy the ride at the same time.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by bad03xtreme
I would just keep it. It may be super clean but in the end the miles are there and they do make a difference in the pricing, put yourself in a buyers shoes.
yes miles are miles, and I have put myself in a buyers shoes, have bought many Vettes with high mileage, was never afraid to use them as DD's, but then I always shopped for just the right one... just becuase there are miles on a vehicle is not an indication of wear and tear on said vehicle, they can last for a long time with being properly maintained by doing your PM's

Originally Posted by Doctuh
I have noticed a pattern on here of HHRs being sold in excellent condition. The prices seem to start high and one of two things happens:

1. Occasionally, the price slowly drops to something reasonable, and the car sells. Girlfriend's loaded 2006 2LT started at something like $9500, and she eventually paid $7500 ($8500 with repairs and expenses of out-of-state delivery).

2. More frequently, the owner ends up keeping it because he can't bear to let it go at a price the market will support.

HHRs were in a lot of rental fleets, are not trendy, and have only average reliability. Their resale value reflects this. The SS is a special case. Its turbocharger has the 5 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty. SS prices seem to drop off a cliff as the end of that warranty approaches. HHR spare parts should be common and cheap, but turbo parts may be costly and have limited availability.

I try to keep cars for 10-15 years and 200,000 miles. This should be doable with our 2LTs, but I'd be scared to risk it in an SS.
you are right, won't take a bath on this one, been there done that before, I'll just keep it if no one is interested......as far as going 200,000 miles in an SS, why not? what's the difference, just because it's a turbo? again properly maintained any vehicle can go on for quite a long time and lots of miles....
Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
It's a good position to be in when you're not desperate to sell. You can hold out for your price and still enjoy the ride at the same time.
I just got the bug to get a Vette as a DD. don't have to sell and won't if the price is not right. it's just that I sat in my 74 last week up on stands and realized how much I really miss driving them.....
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM

Beautiful car and color, I think the bigest issue isn't the mileage although that doesn't help is that GM didn't finish the changes they made on the SS's until mid year in 09, like the seats when they changed them to driver performance as an option in 08 without the passenger side then mid year 09 added both as performance seats standard, brembos etc. if a person is just looking for a fun car then 08's perfect, but if they've done there homework there not going to want the first year build, just my,
Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Gee I wish I had that fancy seat to look at while I'm sitting in the other one. Ha Ha You could add a few mods and a tune keep up with the Vette's add the pedders and keep up in the corners too I have to carry too much around with me I like the wagon feature and the 25mpg works for me too.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rainman
Beautiful car and color, I think the bigest issue isn't the mileage although that doesn't help is that GM didn't finish the changes they made on the SS's until mid year in 09, like the seats when they changed them to driver performance as an option in 08 without the passenger side then mid year 09 added both as performance seats standard, brembos etc. if a person is just looking for a fun car then 08's perfect, but if they've done there homework there not going to want the first year build, just my,
thanks for the complements.... when I bought the 08, I drove both regular and performance seats, I like the regular seat better, it was more comfy to me.....

Originally Posted by SS fan
Gee I wish I had that fancy seat to look at while I'm sitting in the other one. Ha Ha You could add a few mods and a tune keep up with the Vette's add the pedders and keep up in the corners too I have to carry too much around with me I like the wagon feature and the 25mpg works for me too.
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the SS, have the rear sway bar, it handles very well. Have the tune, it runs great, just have the bug, but I can get over that....... I also like the wagon feature, but we have the Vibe for that, you know what happens when you start thinking, well if I do this and then I can do that, so maybe I will do this to do that....
Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 AM

2008 value

I just went on autotrader.com and did a search on manual transmission (I hate automatics) HHR SS under $15K. There were about 9 of them between 12k and 15k, and every single one of them was a 2008. Usually, there's at least one year-later model car in a mix like this. It sounds like the general public strongly prefers the 2009-10 version. Until it was mentioned above, I was unaware of this. Other than the older-style headliner where the light wash lights up the absent window controls and you don't have a decent position dome light, I actually like the 2008 better. I want the LSD, but I'm not impressed with the Brembos and you can't have one without the other in 2009-10. So, why the big difference for 2008? Could one factor be the impending end of the power train warranty?

My concern about the SS as a long-term daily driver has to do with the turbo being an extra, and potentially expensive, point of failure. I also don't want to give up the heated seats in the 2LT. Furthermore, the acceleration in the manual 2LT is good enough for my needs (and not much less than the automatic SS). I really like the manual transmission in the SS compared to the crude Getrag in the non-SS HHRs like mine. In short, I will never get exactly what I want, so my deciding factor in getting the 2LT when I bought it in late 2009 was price.

So, enjoy your SS unless it's exactly what someone else happens to want and can't resist at a price favorable to you.